13. The Search

Lucifer

  If I've learned anything from being alive so long- it's that investigations have to start somewhere. So despite how angry I am at the circle of demons and fallen( mostly Abezethibou) who have never been anything but loyal, I turn to Lilith.

"You had a second go at him after I did, right?" I ask.

"Well yes but.... not for long and he couldn't move when I left." She sighs. "When I went back for a third round he was gone and....."

  "And?" Fucking And? What could be more concerning that a soul escaping torture?

  "There was more, fresher blood." Lilith continues. "Minutes old at the most."

  Fuck.Me.

  Sometimes I think of retiring, swallowing my pride and begging my "holy" brothers to let me become human. They seem to have it easier- not constantly having to deal with celestial problems. Then again, they also obsess over the smallest things because they have no idea what the bigger issues truly are.

  I become more aware of the eyes on me, waiting on me to tell them what to do- yet all I can picture is their heads exploding and me curling into a ball, never to be seen again.

  I try not to let it get to me, but this job sucks. It was meant to be a punishment for the worst "sin" I ever committed, and that it is. Still, after thousands of years- I do not regret that sin. It was the first time I felt something real; the only time I ever told someone I loved them.

Focus, Lucifer. Drawing this out will only make it more difficult.

  "Then... we start there." I say, immediately turning around, pushing through the circle. I extend my wings, hearing Xaphan do the same behind me. Elrinora and Lilith disappear, teleporting quickly- but Abezethibou waits on direct orders.

  "My lord, what shall I-"

  "Nothing." I snap. "You've done enough, just stay out of the way or I'll banish you."

  He immediately removes his hand from my shoulder, terrified. A banishment from hell is the worst of the worst- though I'm still partial to torture- since your only option afterwards is to wander an earth for all eternity and watch everybody you care about even slightly die. There are very few people I'd wish it on and abezethibou isn't one of them(yet)- but if scaring people keeps them in line so be it. I'm not the Angel of compassion or fucking kindness, for fucks sake- I am the devil.

  The one and only.

  "Of course, my lord." I hear Abezethibou step back, clasping his hands in front of him with his head bowed. After a certain amount of time, you learn every little sound.

  When I push off the balcony, picturing Kaden's torture cell- I hear the constant whooshing of Xaphan's wings a dozen or so feet behind, barely at a safe distance so I don't smack him with mine.

  The journey does not take long. We can fly as slow or as fast as we want, choosing the latter today. We also could have teleported but using our wings becomes a habit for any Angel seconds after creation.

Outside of the cell, waiting on us- elrinora and Lilith stand. I retract my wings fifty or so feet in the air, closing my eyes to enjoy the rush.

  It doesn't compare to the innocent, genuine happiness I felt in my early days. Nothing ever has and nothing ever will. I've filled my time with little distractions: human and demon sexual partners, torture- but nothing will fill the hole that was created when I witnessed.... the worst moment of my existence.