30. Check Up

Taylor

"I really think this is a bad idea-"

"And I really think you should go fuck yourself. All I want to do is make sure he's well. Why do you have such a problem with that?" I pace back and forth across his- my living room, eyebrows furrowed in anger.

I have a hard time imagining Lucifer as weak. In every encounter I've had with him, he's been far from it. Walking out of Area 51 unharmed..... doing the things he did with his fingers.....

My cheeks redden at the thought. I should be much sorer than I am.

Michael watches me, struggling to form a sentence. For over a minute we stare at each other, not speaking. I raise an eyebrow, waiting on my answer- and he finally sighs. Finally. My heart was beginning to beat a little too fast.

"I just.... want you to be safe is all. While hell is a generally safe place to be if you're not a damned soul, there are evil beings there just like on the earths. And I know.... How hot it can be and that teleportation is not your strong suit so I-"

"Michael- I don't care how dangerous it is. I'm going." I say. I grab his face, forcing him to look at me. "I will be fine."

"You can't promise that-" he replies quickly. "Nobody can. But.... If I can't convince you to stay, take this along."

He steps a few feet back and extends his wings. I stop breathing as I remember flying over the city in his arms, wishing we could do it again right now. We could- so I make a mental note to ask him later. He looks up, whispers something I can't make out, and reaches towards his wings with a shaking hand.

  "What the fuck are you doing-"

  "ARGHHHAHHHHH!!" He yanks a feather out at the same speed Lucifer's fingers went in and out of me and collapses, his face contorting in pain.

  I find myself on the floor with him, pushing his hair out of his eyes, looking at the spot he tore the feather from. I open my mouth to speak but he beats me to it.

"If you feel faint while there or anybody makes you feel unsafe or you just want to leave and can't do it yourself, clutch the feather in your hands and think of where you want to be. It will take you there immediately- something about angel's wings containing heaven's light." He shrugs, sitting up so we're eye level.

  "You... can't come with me?" I ask, my heart racing when he slides the feather in my pocket. His fingers just barely brush against my leg and I shiver. He quickly moves his fingers away from my thigh.

  "Lucifer and I... aren't on the best terms at the moment and.... There's an archangel meeting happening right now that I'm supposed to be attending." When he smiles, my heart beats so loud he must be able to hear it. "Us being... alone with each other is dangerous."

  He watches my lips for a few seconds, but when I inch closer to him- he backs away.

  "Maybe but-"

  "Goodbye, Taylor."

  "Wait-"

  Before I can say goodbye back, he is gone. The light emanating from his feather seeps out of my pocket when I lift it with a finger and I sigh. He was willing to put himself in excruciating pain... just to make sure I'd be okay. I'd be turned on if I weren't so damn worried about Lucifer.

I try to remember what he told me about teleportation but my mind's so fogged I can't think straight. I take several deep breaths, trying to ground myself. Nothing happens. I punch the wall.