32. Breakdown

Michael

  It's starting. Fuck- she's not ready. It's way too soon.

  I try not to panic as the world spins around me, not out of free will for the first time in six thousand years. I go through each potential witness in my head, calculating which ones I can kill into silence and which I can just threaten. Somehow, I find myself in father's castle suite. Alarmed, we stare at each other for ten seconds. I'm not supposed to be here. Nobody is, not without his direct permission. From the look on his face- he didn't give it.

"What is it, my son? Can I help you with something?" He speaks first.

"I think... father I think Taylor just sent me here."

  "That's not possible. There's never been a nephillim descendant with that sort of power." He shrugs, in denial despite what he told us about her.

  "Father..."I gulp. "I do not wish to argue with you but I'm certain that's what happened. She..... I told her I could not save her friend's life without a blessing from you and she.... Here I am. I do not believe she is 'just' a nephillim descendent and you know she isn't."

"Regardless- she couldn't have done that. I see all and that wasn't in my visions." My father walks out to his balcony. I follow him. It isn't often that one sees god's view of heaven.

"Maybe something about her gives you blind spots." I suggest.

  "Careful, son." He warns, tightly holding his hands together. "Don't forget who you're talking to."

  Like I could if I tried. I've watched as humanity's suffered for thousands of years, done nothing out of "loyalty" to my father. Maybe he's the real devil. He's certainly the source of all evil.

   "I'm sorry... father." I barely manage a reply.

  "All will be forgiven- but since you are here I'll go ahead and answer the question in your head." Fuck. "No- and that girl's death may be tragic but I can't just save everybody."

"Of..of course not father. I can't.. expect that of you." I lie.

  When he dismisses me, I sit down in the hallway- no energy left.

  I don't know how much longer I can do this.