12: "You'll Be Next, Mudbloods!"

"I can't deal with this," Ron muttered, as the orchestra ground back into action and the ghosts swept back onto the dance floor.

The whole thing had been unbearable, including an irritating Peeves, a weeping Moaning Myrtle and a head-juggling Headless Hunt.

Harry finally seemed to give up the nice act and had enough. "Let's go."

"About bloody time," said Ashton.

They hurried towards the door, nodding and beaming at anyone who stared, and 60 seconds later they were dashing back up the passageway full of dimly-lit black candles.

"Pudding might not be finished yet," said Ron hopefully.

Harry halted out of nowhere, clutching at the wall, looking around, squinting up and down the passageway.

"Harry, what are you-" Hermione started.

"It's that voice again, shut up a minute - listen!" he said urgently, and Ron and Hermione froze, watching him.

"Quick, move!" yelled Ashton, as Harry began to run rapidly, yelling, "It's going to kill someone!"

Ron and Hermione stared at each other bemusedly.

After a while of running around the whole of the second floor, they turned a corner into the last, deserted passage.

"Harry, what the bloody hell was that about?" said Ron, wiping sweat off his face. "I couldn't hear anything.

"I could hear something," said Harry. "Something's in the walls."

Hermione gave a sudden gasp, pointing down the corridor.

"Look!" Something was on the wall ahead, shining. They approached, slowly, squinting through the darkness. There were words daubed on the wall.

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HAS BEEN OPENED,
ENEMIES OF THE HEIR,
BEWARE

"What's that - hanging underneath?" said Ron, a quiver in his voice.

As they edged nearer, Harry nearly slipped over - as there was a large puddle of water on the floor. Ashton grabbed him before he could fall.

Mrs Norris, the caretaker's cat, was in front of them. She was hanging by her tail from the torch bracket. She was stiff as a board, her eyes wide and staring.

For a bit, nobody moved, Ashton then grabbed Harry and Hermione, who were closest to the sandy cat, by the arms. "Move, quick, get out of here."

"Shouldn't we-" Harry began.

"No, trust me," said Ashton firmly. "None of you want to be found here. Especially not with me."

But it was way too late. A rumble indicated the feast had ended, and the sound of hundreds of idiots climbing up the stairs floated into Ashton's ears.

The bustle suddenly died down as the people in front spotted the hanging car. The four stood alone, in the middle of the corner, as silence fell among the mass of students as they read the message on the wall. They all turned their gullible faces towards Ashton, accusing looks in their eyes, some even looking triumphant, as if their suspicions about him had been confirmed.

Someone called out from the back of the crowd, "What did you do to that cat, Lestrange?"

This broke out a flurry of noise, many students yelling abuse at him, and Malfoy could distinctly be heard from the back of the crowd, "Enemies of the heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!"