14: Moste Potente Potions

After the four of them retrieved the book from a very suspicious Madam Prince, they barricaded themselves in Moaning Myrtle's out-of-order restroom. Hermione chose to override Ron's objections by stating that it was the last place anyone in their right minds would want to go, so they were guaranteed privacy. Myrtle was crying - again - noisily in her cubicle, but the four second-years ignored her, and she did them.

Hermione opened the book carefully - and it was clear from a sole glance why it belonged in the Restricted Section. Harry, Ron and Hermione began to wince at the gruesome images on display. When Ron asked Ashton why he was so unfazed, he simply replied with: "I've seen it all before."

"Here it is!" proclaimed Hermione proudly, as she stumbled upon the page titled The Polyjuice Potion.

"Blimey, this is the most complicated potion I've ever seen," said Ron, perplexed.

"Not much competition there." remarked Ashton snidely.

"No, Ron's right - I can't believe I just said that - look at this! Lacewing flies, leeches, fluxweed and knot grass. I suppose those are easy enough, you can just find them in the student store cupboard, we can help ourselves to those... ooh, powdered horn of a bicorn, I don't know how we're going to get that... shredded skin of a Boomslang, and, of course, a bit of whoever we're changing into."

"Excuse me?" said Ron sharply. "What d'you mean, a bit of whoever we're changing into? I'm not drinking anything with Crabbe's toenails in it..." 

Hermione continued as if she didn't hear him. "We don't have to worry about that bit though, because we add those last."

"D'you know how much we're going to have to steal, Hermione?" said Ron warily. "Half of this stuff is definitely not in the students' cupboard. What are we going to do, break into Snape's private cupboard? I'm not sure about this plan."

Ashton narrowed his eyes at Ron. "Really? Really? If you're going to be a coward, go ahead. Be my guest. I don't give the slightest about getting into trouble, but I'm sure Hermione doesn't want to. Why? Because neither of us think that stealing some ingredients to brew a difficult potion is worse than threatening Muggleborns. But if you two don't want to do this, then Hermione and I will do it ourselves."

"Fine, fine." conceded Ron, holding his hands up. "I'll do it. But I'm not drinking anybody's toenails."

"Oh, please. You'd pay your life savings to be able to lick Harry's." laughed Ashton, as Ron gave him a death glare. 

"How long will it take to make, anyway?" Harry asked Hermione as she, looking much happier, opened the book once more.

Ashton did a quick scan of the page. "A month. The fluxweed has got to be picked at the full moon and the lacwings have to be stewed for twenty-one days."

"A month? Bloody hell, Malfoy could've attacked half the Muggleborns in the school by then - ahh!" he screamed as a large hole in the floor appeared. "Where the bloody hell did that - Ashton!" he yelled, looking at the brown-haired boy.

"What are you looking at me for? It's not like I've got my wand out or anything." he said, fighting to keep the smirk off his face. Ron seemed fearful enough at that point.

"Well, er, it's the best plan we've got, so full steam ahead, I say!" 

Ron could've sworn he felt the ground crack further when he said to Harry, "It'd save a lot of bloody hassle if you could just knock Malfoy off his broom tomorrow, you know."

***

"How come you never play Quidditch anymore?" asked Ron to Ashton as they sat in the stands, just like the rest of the school.