Permission to be happy

A huge rush on the main road. People seemed to be especially in a hurry for something. And why shouldn't they ? For today, the Diwali, the festival of Lights.....the celebration of Victory of Good over evil. 

But someone, unnoticed and un-cared of, sat at the roadside behind a cardboard box, with colorful paper lanterns on it. This improvised set-up, Gautam proudly called his shop. Few days ago, he had, very confidently gave his word to his children that this year, they will have the grandest of celebration like all those proud people who traveled by the road in their fairy-driven cars, who did not have to worry about whether they have enough money for their meals that day, or whether they had money to pay rent.

The past few months had been hard not only for them, but for lakhs and thousands of migrated laborers who had to return to their native villages when the Government had issued lock-down. Many suffered, unemployment ruled these poverty-stricken households and their immediate existence was being questioned. Gautam and his family too, had to return to their city. Returning too, was very tough of an adventure. Miles to walk, not much money in hand, whole household to carry and complete uncertainty led their way. And after such a trial, they deserved celebrations. And that is why, he had promised his family, that he would earn enough money, and they would be in to time, be at a better state than they were, even when they had jobs.What was the reason for such confidence? We may not know, but maybe he believed that they were now under the Maker's Will and everything would turn out well.

But as Luck would have it, not even a stray dog, dare stir near his shop. The paper lanterns, showed-off their colorful grandeur but not even a miser seemed impressed. Gautam buried his head in his arm's nest and wondered what he would do, with no money, in the festival of Abundance.  But then suddenly, he noticed a person who was observing him from a distance. He was holding his phone in front of him and probably recording something. The person then slowly approached him and asked, "Hey man, how is business? Seems like you are in dire need of some money, eh ?" Gautam replied, slowly, "What should I say, sir? This lock-down is becoming the death of me and my poor family. We don't even have enough  money for survival. And on top of that, I need to manage some money for Diwali by today. I was very hopeful at first, but it seems, people already have brought all their stuff, I was probably late. Would you like to buy some ? "....The man thought for sometime, and said with a start "You know what ? I will buy all of these and give you an extra Rs.2000/-. You see I am a live streamer and you are appearing on my channel. I am doing a give away and helping people like you."....Gautam was star-struck. He blessed the man and sold all his lanterns and breathed the new enthusiasm that blew away the clouds of grief around him for a moment. He quickly bought sweets and clothes for his family and my! Those little eyes of the children sparkled up like pearls in the darkest of night. The thatched house was lighted up with Diyas and flowers and looked as beautiful as a bashful new bride. 

After some time they went out on the road to fire the crackers and give sweets to their neighbors.  As the rockets went up the sky, making beautiful patterns, it seemed as if their happy days would begin soon. But then somebody shouted "Fire!! Help ! The whole hut is on fire!!" .....Gautam's heart stopped, he turned and the sight was something he wished he did not see. Their poor house was blazing with fire, and with it, their hopes, happiness and all. So what had happened was that, a paper lantern which was still burning, fell on their dry straw-roof and roof caught fire and soon their whole house was on fire. Soon people managed to put out fire, but nothing much of it was left. Just ashes here and ashes there. Nobody was hurt physically, but their mental agony was enough to make them die every moment. Where will they go ? How will they survive ? Cruel Fate took away the trifles they had. Gautam looked up to the far-away skyscrapers who's red-lighted crowns were glowing, head held high. The rich were making merry in their houses, the lights and crackers were the proof to it, while this little family saw eminent darkness in their future. The same lanterns that had given them hope and abundance had now snatched away all they had. . Gautam realised, that even to celebrate, the poor need money, the need permission from Fate itself.