F I V E

CHAPTER FIVE

"I think I should go."

I've been stuck in the sewers for so long and my lungs were tired of the strange smell of the turtles home. As much as I hate leaving and going back to my foster parents house, I knew that the longer I would be gone, the more of a punishment I would get.

Leonardo wouldn't let me leave without their supervision and since it was the middle of the day when I asked earlier, I had to wait until nighttime.

"I guess, it's already midnight so..." Donnie said as he turned off the TV that we were watching.

Mikey was playing with some handheld game and Raph was reading a magazine. Leo came walking in as we all got up from the couch, Don simply gave him a slight nod and knew what was going on.

"I'm going to tell sensei." The blue mask turtle said as he left the room and quickly came back. I noticed that all of the turtles have their weapons on their belts now as if they were going into battle.

"Um, what's with all the swords and stuff, you're just like dropping me off at my apartment. It's not like it's war or something." I mumbled as I hugged my arms.

I always did that when I was scared or nervous about something and it terrified me that they were going to see my home. It terrified me that there could be a possibility of them seeing my foster parents and how mean they were to me. If they did, they'll think I'm garbage too.

"We always have to be prepared for things like this, who knows what might attack us." Mikey said as he wrapped and arm around my shoulder.

A chill went down my back and I shuttered out of his grasp, uncomfortable against anyone's touch. I could see the smile that was plastered on his face fade to a frown like he caught my sadness as if it were a disease. It only made me feel worse than I was before.

We all left together beforebut before I placed a foot out the door, I turned around and took in one last look of the home that belonged to four turtles and a rat.

I took in the smell of one pizza and smelly socks that hurt my lungs but became so accustomed to it that it was comfortable. I felt safer in a place that I've stayed in for two days more than I have in a palm that I've lived in for two years.

"Okay, uh, Riley here's the plan. We can't be seen walking with you down the sidewalk and you too injured for us to carry while we jump off the rooftops so we're going to be following you from above and you're going to be walking. As soon as you get in your apartment, we'll leave."

I nodded to him, by the time Leo finish telling me what the plan was we had all reach the manhole. I felt someone push me forward to signal me that I would go first. Through my teeth, I sucked in air and started to climb up the rusty latter, it hurt the soft flesh on my palms.

It took all the strength I had, even though I was so weak, to lift the metal plate from the ground above.

A loud groan escaped my lips as the skin from my back that was cut up moved. It almost made me regret not telling Donnie about it so he could bandage it. But it's worth the pain, I deserve it, I couldn't bear to look at his face if he ever saw the scars on my wrists.

The moment that I stepped out, the cold wind brushed against holes in my clothes. I had completely forgot that I probably looked like a hobo with the ripped clothes.

A quiet swoosh from behind me made my tangled hair move upwards and get messed up even more. I turned around, looked down the whole, and found that all of the turtles were gone. I looked around frantic to see if they actually existed or my mind just made them up and disappeared when I left the sewers. A small cough echoed the alleyway where I stood, I looked up and saw the outline of four mutant turtles.