Chapter 3: The Sleep Bug

Red Son growled to himself as he tried fixing up his Inferno Jet, tightening a bolt with a wrench. "I'm not a hero! I AM NOT A HERO." He told him before letting go of the wrench. He sighed, watching it fall onto the floor.

He rubbed the brink of his forehead and sat down. "...right?"

He would never admit this to himself, but the fact that he enjoyed the heroes' company...made him feel slightly warm and fuzzy. And the more he thought about it, the more he began to linger in on in the past...about his uncle.

What would've happened if he just...accepted his offer to stop fighting and surrender The Tang Priest? Would...Wukong have let Gunayin take him away or would he have taken him back to his parents?

Red Son sighed, looking down at the floor as he thought about the Dragon Girl's words.

'YOU ARE A HERO!'

Red Son then looked at his Inferno Jet again. Before the Spider Queen attacked, he DID want a fresh start with his father. Yes, a food stand probably wasn't the best choice...but after so much failure, broken bones, and TALKING bones. He just wanted some peace.

While yes, his father did reject the idea...later on. He actually seemed...open to it at first.

Then? There was a voice.

"My son." Princess Iron Fan's voice said before she walked into the room. "Is...something troubling you?"

Red Son turned and then stood. "N-No, Mother-"

Iron Fan's eyes softened and she held Red Son's hand tightly. "My boy...a mother can tell when something is bothering their little one."

Red Son sighed. Guess he WOULD end up telling his mother what happened. "I'm conflicted, Mother."

"With?" Iron Fan asked.

Red Son was about to speak before his phone started buzzing and vibrating, even a speaker coming on.

"SLEEP BUG! DOWNLOAD IT NOW FROM AN APP STORE!"

Red Son growled before shooting a fireball at his phone, obliterating it before facing his mother again. "...well, Father was-"

"Captured by the Spider Queen. He told me." Iron Fan giggled a little. "Your father was never good at keeping secrets."

Red Son chuckled a little before sighing. "I...I had to work with the heroes to save him."

Iron Fan raised an eyebrow, humming and nodding.

"Now I'm wondering...should we eventually return to trying to conquer the city?" Red Son asked. "These other villains seem to be better at it than us."

Iron Fan sighed. "Even I must admit. Failure after failure is exhausting...and one of our attempts nearly lost the love of my life and your father." She then sat down with her son. "I myself...am conflicted if we should continue."

"Is...revenge on Monkey King even worth it?" Red Son sighed. "It was 500 years ago, after all...right?"

Iron Fan stroked her son's cheek and her face went from soft to saddened. "The worst 500 years of my life. I lost you and my husband in what felt like the same day."

Red Son then scooted a little closer. "Well, I'm here now, Mother."

"Yes." Iron Fan giggled. "You are...and I don't want to lose you again. Whether we choose to continue our ways or start something new? We'll do it together. As a family."

Red Son nodded, feeling a small smile grow on his face. "Family...you're much softer when not on the battlefield."

"The battlefield isn't a place for affection, my child." Iron Fan laughed.