Hot Ice Cream

"I'm the lucky bastard because she's my girl

"I'm the lucky bastard because she's my girl."

I read the caption a million times and stare at his photo on Instagram for God knows how long. He is a famous handsome football captain, every girl on campus is crushing on him. Her new girl is an equally popular print model. Me? I'm not a nobody. I'm the smartest and on top of my class but love is not on my side.

A tear runs down my left cheek but I don't bother to wipe it and let the teardrop fall on the smiling lips of my crush.

"Kiss my heartbreak goodbye, lucky bastard."

Another tear escapes but I quickly brush it off. I click on his profile and unfollow him. I inhale deeply and release a hefty sigh.

"I need my ice cream."

I stand from my coral pear-shaped bean bag and grab my pink wallet from the bedside table.

I jog down the stairs and inform my Mom who is cleaning the kitchen that I'm going out.

The slightly cold autumn breeze blows my hair as I walk towards my favorite ice cream shop. The vivid colors of orange, red and yellow leaves falling from the trees are beautiful as they gracefully landed on the green grass. Perfect combination, perfect place, a sight to behold. I chuckle at my silliness. Broken heart makes me poetic.

I push the glass door and enter the shop. Surprisingly, I am the only customer. My eyes immediately dart towards the vast selection of ice cream flavors.

"Good day, Selena!" A deep and familiar voice greets me. I snap my head to look at the owner's son who is smiling brightly, wearing a hairnet holding his brown curls in place and a red apron with a 'Hill's Batch Ice Cream' written in white.

"Hi Finn." I give him a small smile and turn my gaze back on the ice cream, licking my lips.

"What do you want this time?"

"I dunno. I like them all."

"Do you want me to choose for you?"

I glance up to look at him and I forget to breathe when I see his radiant hazel eyes staring at me intently.