Glitch and Glamour

"What's bothering you Kaya?" asks Himani Bisoyi, my bestie

"What's bothering you Kaya?" asks Himani Bisoyi, my bestie. "You've been staring at your locker for more than 2 minutes now."

"Nothing," I say in a flat tone, blinking several times.

"Is it too personal and complicated that you can hide it from your only bestie?" She studies my expression and I don't dare to meet her eyes because she can already read me without uttering more than one word.

She sighs. "Do you know about the app, Lockers, where you can store your secrets?"

"Lockers? A mobile application?"

"Yes."

I shake my head. "Is it safe and secure? Won't it get our personal details and sell them to other organizations?"

"No. They will only ask for your name and email address. It's a trusted app with millions of users and consistently the number 1 app in Google Play and the App Store for 5 years."

"Have you used it before?" I ask, still being doubtful but I really need to get this secret out of my system. It's weighing me down.

"Yup. Been using it for two years now."

Wow. The bell rings and I quickly scramble through my stuff and grab my book.

"Think about it," Himani says before we run towards our classroom.

🤫

I arrive in school with renewed energy, feeling a bit lighter than the previous days. It's short-lived when goosebumps rise on my arms and I shiver when I take the sight in front of me — the school is in total chaos.

A couple of guys are fighting, with bloody faces and red knuckles. Some girls are running towards my direction or should I say the school's entrance gate, either crying or angry or simply hiding their faces.

What the hell happened?

I force my feet to move forward and I scan for Himani amidst the chaos but couldn't find her.