Chapter 4

Opit Ramundo waved a hand so they could return to the same place he was running from

Opit Ramundo waved a hand so they could return to the same place he was running from. Reaching there, master O'tet Roto and the rest of his female assistants were busy. When he spotted them, he scuttled to the entrance. He stood there and waited while holding his arms behind his back. He gave Opit a very disappointed cast gaze! Opit felt like the ground would rather swallow him than face this level of guilt.  

'Only a man who toils will get what to eat boy...'  

'I, I had gone to ask my friend Tsote to come and accompany me baking... just!.

'Mhu!' Master O'tet Roto breathed an untrustworthy sigh of relief. He looked at Tsote who wore a confused face then back at Opit Ramundo.'

'Just?'

'Yes?' Opit questioningly added with a big smile across his face, then quickly adding. 'Can we work together with him?'

O'tet Roto shifted his gaze from Opit, back to Tsote.

'Thank you for showing him back here Tsote.' Master O'tet Roto spoke. 'Though are you not supposed to be in training?'

'Not.' Came Tsote. 'Ever since the famine began, the training routine was reduced by half... today we train. Tomorrow we don't.'

'Oh, that was an great move when food rations were cut by half... I get you, boy. Please come in. I'll show you where to begin.' Master O'tet Roto.

Opit showed Tsote his second apron and they entered the bakery. They spent the whole day working together. And for the first time, Opit felt at ease doing the bakery work. When it came to midday, they left the bakery for a break sweating all over. However, it was Opit Ramundo's very first time leaving the bakery without having made a single mistake. Roto was impressed!

Reaching outside, Opit took Tsote aside.

'Enough with today's baking for me. I am tired! Why don't we go and you train me some of those warrior moves you guys only practice behind sealed walls!' Opit said.

'Uh?' came Tsote. 'But, but you are tired and...'

'Yes. I am tired of baking. I would rather now get some warrior training to keep my spirit up and....' Came Opit hitting Tsote in the tummy jokingly.

'I don't think it's a great idea.' Came Tsote. 'You still got to cleanse the sunflower oil and fill the remaining jars before you can lea...'

'No. I'll do that in the evening when we get back, until late at night or tomorrow early morning before the maidens arrive.' Opit said.

'Okay...' came Tsote. 'Then I'll be taken for a distraction to you Opit. Besides that, everything we learn from behind the sealed walls is complicated. Very complicated! On the other hand secret...'

'No one will ever know you are training me.'

'Okay.'

They stealthily made their way out of the bakery grounds and then ran as fast as their feet could carry them. Many ox-drawn wagons were coming and going out to the edges of the village. They hopped onto one of the Ox-drawn wagons which took them out to the fields. They returned to the very spot they were when the monkeys dropped the basket of sunflowers.