I am not Theophania

It was a beautiful day. A spring breeze carried the scent of flowers and clean laundry through the pristine cloisters of the monastery. Bird song and happy conversations filled the air, interrupted only by the loud clanging of paladins' swords and armor as they trained. No one bat an eye at the noise, though. It was as common as the bells calling the acolytes and initiates to prayer-and just as easily ignored.

"So, this is where you were!"

I looked up at the old priest who raised me, Father Rowan. His figure was hazy through the white lace of my veil, but I could still make out the hand he extended down to me. I took it gratefully and let him pull me up and out of the hollow tree that had long been my favorite hiding place. No one ever thought to look for me in a place like that.

"Come," the priest said as he turned to lead me away from my refuge. "You must greet the new Archbishop with me. Who knows, it might be your ticket out of here. This is no place for a princess, I always say."

I held back the sigh growing in my heart. A princess. Right. It was always so strange to be reminded about that. In my previous life, royalty was seldom seen outside of fiction. Those few royal families that remained were little more than celebrities. Even after living in this world for so many years, it was hard to believe I was royalty, now.

It wasn't like I lived like a typical princess. The monastery was a simple place, and everyone had to pitch in to make things run smoothly. Me more so than most. It was one of many ways people expected me to atone for my 'sins'. Little did they know, neither I nor my body's original occupant committed any.

The body I now called my own belonged to Theophania Albrecht, the first princess of the kingdom of Acan. She was the female protagonist of a novel series I read religiously as a child. It was my mother's favorite, so it always had a special place in my heart, even after I got old enough to develop my own tastes. Even now, I was grateful for her forcing me to reread it with her one more time. If she hadn't, I might not have recognized where I was when I woke up in the world of her favorite story.

It was very confusing, at first, but the daily grind of working and living in the monastery made it hard to wallow in my doubt and grief. The world would not stand still because one little girl needed a rest. Still, it would have been nice.

It's not every day you wake up as a cursed princess, after all.

Not that Theophania was really cursed. It sometimes felt like it, though.

I gathered the rough fabric of my white acolyte's robe and followed Father Rowan up the stairs to the main worship chamber. Even a princess like me rarely set foot there. It was only used on holidays and when an important guest was visiting. It was too much work to maintain, otherwise. By the time we made it to the top of the stairs, I had to force myself to breathe normally. It wouldn't do to greet a guest panting like a dog.

Father Rowan walked past the giant doors that led to the worship chamber and opened a smaller door off to one side. I followed him through it, ready to be turned away-or worse.

"Forgive our tardiness," Father Rowan said with a deep bow. "I am Rowan, your Excellency. Please allow me to introduce her Highness, Princess Theophania Albrecht."

I curtsied deeper than a princess probably should, but I was an acolyte and he was the Archbishop who oversaw the kingdom I was supposedly princess of. It was obvious who held the power here.

"Greetings, your Excellency."

I kept my head lowered as footsteps approached me. Through my veil, I could barely make out the outline of another person. The shoes that stepped into view under the hem of my veil were embroidered with gold thread. A far cry from Father Rowan's worn sandals.

"Raise your head, my child," a gentle voice told me.

It was so kind compared to the last Archbishop, but I knew better than to believe it. As soon as this newcomer said something else, I would know the truth of his character.

I stood tall with my head held high and my shoulders back. It was an open provocation, but the Archbishop either didn't notice or didn't care.

"My, you are a tall young lady, aren't you? You must take after your royal father."

I bowed my head. "Thank you, your Excellency." Though I'd never met my 'royal father'-neither had Theophania, before she was me-I knew the Archbishop's comment was meant as a compliment.

"It's good to know you're well, Your Highness."

A bad taste filled my mouth and I curtsied again, though much shallower, this time. "Thank you for your concern, Reverend Father Basil."

The abbot was likely upset that he was no longer the most powerful person in the monastery. As the lowest ranking person in the room, I was the obvious choice to take out his anger.

He wasted no time trying to tear me down in front of the Archbishop. "I didn't see you at morning prayer. Where were you?"

"I was doing laundry, Reverend Father," I said honestly. "I apologize for missing your sermon."

"Oh my," the Archbishop said with a laugh in his voice. "Even princesses do laundry here?" There was a hint of judgment there, too.

I spoke over the abbot's sputtering protest. "I am merely an acolyte of Alítheia, your Excellency. I will do what must be done."

"How admirable."

Ha.

I could feel the abbot's anger as I took my place along the back wall, strategically placing a paladin between us. The armored man was much taller than me and the hand resting on the hilt of his longsword could easily end my life. Still, I felt plenty safe standing beside him as the clergy in the room began speaking with each other. There was a bracelet on his wrist made by the children in the monastery, which meant this was Ser Valerian. He was the only paladin who regularly interacted with the youngest members of our order, and the only one who took his vows seriously. He wouldn't let anything happen to me, even after the Archbishop left.

I settled back on my heels, ready to daydream until it was time to go. At the very least, this new Archbishop seemed alright. It was still too early to be sure, of course, but he didn't give off any bad vibes.

Not like his predecessor.

This was only their first meeting, but I knew better than to doubt myself. I had a reliable cheat, after all.

"Thank you for hosting me," the Archbishop was saying, a smile in his voice. "I would love a tour of the grounds, if I may. I don't know when I will next have a chance to see the beauty of your home."

That was one thing the monastery had going for it. Though there was no internet and all the chores had to be done by hand, it was easily the most beautiful place I had ever seen. The architecture was vaguely Greco-Roman, with great columns and marble statues of Alítheia, Goddess of Truth, every thousand paces. There was a grand forum where initiates held theological debates, and a large pasture where sheep were free to roam. It was a hard life-harder than I was used to, as a 21st century woman-but a good one. A fulfilling one. I would be more than happy to live the rest of my life in a place like this.

Alas, I should have known that Theophania's destiny would catch up with me, one day.

I trailed behind the group as we all left the meeting room. As we approached the top of the stairs, I stepped on the hem of my robes and tripped.