I am not the Only Princess

I took a slow, deep breath and counted backwards from ten for the ten thousandth time. My heart still pounded fiercely against my ribcage, but I was able to hold a smile on my face without it falling into a grimace. The woman reflected in the ornate vanity mirror was a far cry from the girl who left her monastery two weeks ago. My black hair was allowed to fall down my back uncurled and unadorned, save for the golden laurel wreath fastened to my head with various invisible pins. In my old world, it was a symbol of triumph worn by generals and emperors returning from war. Here, it was as close to a crown as I could get without directly claiming royal authority—something I desperately wanted to avoid. Very little of my dress was reflected in the mirror, but even that was enough to make me blush.

It was everything I asked for. There were no extra layers or structured underwear used to make it fluffy. Instead, expensive silk fell in a straight line to the floor from my waist, following the natural contours of my body without hugging it too closely. Long sleeves covered my arms and a high collar hid most of my throat. The entire ensemble was made from black fabric and I was happy to see not a single frill or ruffle. In their place, delicate golden embroidery accented the lines of the dress, symbols of Alítheia put on proud display. Alas, the neckline was just way too low. I managed to cover it with an insert after begging Madame Sucre and my Aunt, but the fabric was sheer and left little to the imagination.

Aiyah~. I thought I was supposed to look like a Saintess, not...whatever this was supposed to be.

Whatever. It was too late to change it now. Madame Sucre had only finished the dress that morning and there were already guests arriving at the Manor. I straightened in my seat and pushed my shoulders back as I took yet another deep breath. There was no time to be nervous. I had things to do and people to put in their place. As...unpleasant as some of it would probably be, it was a necessary step in securing my survival.

"It's just a party, Theo," I whispered to myself. "It's just a party."

"Don't let Mother hear you say that," an unfortunately familiar voice cut in. "She'll be heartbroken." Truth.

I turned in my seat to look at Freddy, my practiced smile trembling at the edges as I tried to hold back my annoyance. My cousin was dressed in a soft gray suit, the clothing and his coloring contrasting mine almost perfectly. If this were a literature class, the teacher would be extolling the powers of symbolism.

"What do you want, Freddy?"

He walked across my room, leaving my door open to the hall where anyone could hear our conversation. Smart. He bowed with a flourish and held out a hand to me. "I've come to escort my baby cousin for her Coming of Age."

There were few people currently in my life I would rather not escort me. My cousin had made it clear that he intended to use me for something—exactly what I wasn't yet sure. I knew his father wanted me to hold the rest of the royal family in check by publicly allying me with his House, but Freddy? His intentions were a mystery.

And that made him dangerous.

I placed my hand in his and stood, the silk skirt of my dress swishing softly. His hand was warm and calloused and held mine just tight enough to make escape difficult. He looked me over with his grey eyes, expression softening into something almost genuine.

"You look nice." Truth. "I can see a new trend will be taking the nobility by storm." Lie.

I scoffed as he led me through the building, eyes staunchly focused on the giant double doors that would open and expose me to a nest of vipers. "I'd like to see who dares to copy me."

He chuckled lowly. "True. There aren't many people who can make something like this work." Truth.

What did he mean, 'something like this'? My dress wasn't exactly in style, but it wasn't some grand upending of convention, either. I wasn't the kind of protagonist who defied the corset and rewrote fashion history. I just wanted to be able to walk in my skirts. Plus, I remembered quite clearly how the original Theophania fared when she wore one of the large, frilly skirts that my aunt had first suggested. While I was not the kind of woman to endure humiliation silently, I would still prefer to avoid it. Although, that was starting to look impossible.

Freddy stopped suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him in surprise. His grey eyes were focused on me and his lips pulled down in a frown.

"I mean it." His tone was serious—more serious than he'd ever used with me, before. "It suits you, Theophania." That...that was the first time he used my name. "You look beautiful."

The anxious pounding of my heart started to calm when my power didn't sting me. He was telling the truth. I smiled up at him, genuinely grateful to have this annoying man by my side.

"Thank you, Freddy."

"If anyone gives you trouble, you can come to me," he continued as if I hadn't spoken, looking away stiffly with a flush rising in his cheeks. "No matter what they say, you're still my cousin."

Aiyah~. He was embarrassed. It was almost cute. Even though he was the one to put us on opposite sides, he was honest about helping me. It was a vast improvement from our relationship in the novels, at least. We were family, after all, for all that meant in a world like this. I wanted to believe in him, but reading the novels—and years of my own experience as Theophania—had taught me that not all truths were permanent. Only time would tell if he was a man who kept his promises.

"Are you ready?"

My smile turned mischievous. "Ready, Freddy."

"Tch."

When we stepped through the doors leading to the Shay Manor ballroom, my head was held high. Roan, the Manor's demon butler, announced us with a clear voice that carried over the crowd.

"Presenting his Lordship, Frederick Shay of Montferro, and her Royal Highness, Theophania Albrecht, First Princess of Acan, and Saintess of Alítheia."

All in one breath, too. Impressive.

We were standing at the top of an obnoxiously ornate staircase, forcing the gathered nobility to look up at us. The sea of faces all blended into one under the bright lights of the chandeliers, the amorphous mass of people sending a wave of anxiety through me. I tightened my grip on Freddy's arm and he placed his other hand over mine.

"Just picture them in their underwear," he whispered through the corner of his mouth. His expression was a picture of noble indifference. "It works every time."

Easy for him to say. There were some images I didn't want in my head, thank you.

The Duke and Duchess were waiting for us when we descended the stairs. They really were a mispatched pair. My uncle's unassuming face was a far cry from his wife's mature beauty. Even so, they looked very comfortable with each other. I was happy for them.

My aunt reached out and planted a kiss on both of my cheeks in a display of familiarity. "Theophania," she said warmly, no doubt dropping my titles on purpose for the others to see. "You look so lovely." Truth.

My lips curled up the slightest bit at the corners. It was the biggest smile I could give under the intense stairs stabbing into me from all directions. "All thanks to you, Aunt Mathilde. Thank you for all you've done for me."

I used my free hand to curtsey as gracefully as I could while clinging to Freddy. It was incredibly shallow compared to the deep, ingratiating bows I used to give any and everyone at the monastery, but it was still deeper than a princess should give a duchess. This, too, was a show put on for our eager audience. The Duke of Montferro had a princess in his corner.

My aunt seemed genuinely flustered as she reached out to pull me to my feet. "Please, Theophania, you don't need to thank me for anything. It's only natural that I should care for my niece."

Aiyah~, my auntie was so clever. If an aunt caring for her niece was natural, then a father abandoning his daughter was...

The whispers were already starting. Good. This was what I wanted. The rumors of my father's heartlessness would be the foundation of my power in the Capital. The more the nobility pitied me, the easier it would be to use them.

"Ah, ahem." Everyone turned to look at the top of the staircase, again. Roan was no longer there, but another, much younger servant stood in his place. I looked over to the Ducal family, confused, but they all had dark expressions on their faces. Even Freddy.

"Presenting her Royal Highness, Clara Albrecht, First Princess of Acan."

The crowd didn't even pretend to hide their shock. The giant double doors swung open and I sighed inwardly.

Aiyah~, things were about to get messy.