// 005 //

FOUR months is the longest I can endure before I slip inside her dreams again

FOUR months is the longest I can endure before I slip inside her dreams again. I am ashamed to say, that my impatience has gotten the best of me. For weeks straight, I have been listening to her wondering thoughts. She cannot stop thinking about me, however since I give her nothing in return, she isn't courageous enough to approach me. Under her longing gaze, I have proved to be a weak man. It is a dangerous game I have chosen to play, and I have no doubts when they say that curiosity killed the cat. 

But satisfaction brought it back. And that exact part is what I'm placing my money on.

Once again, I find myself in a place I do not recognize. It is a neat little room I am inside of, on the top floor of a tall apartment building that has certainly seen some better days. Despite the old complex, this specific place is comforting. It is small, but tidy. The white fairylights pinned above the orderly-made bed splash the same glow that was back inside her dorm room.

I'm sitting behind a desk, and the laptop on it is on screensaver mode. When the tip of my finger moves the mouse, the screen lights up. There's no password, so I'm able to scan the open webpage with no effort. There's nothing interest-worthy; only a google result of a simple recipe for vanilla sugar cookies. Not wishing to impose into her privacy any longer, I close the laptop shut.

I pull myself from the chair as I explore the space I am in. My eyes linger on the outside world just behind the parted curtains of what I'm guessing is her childhood room back at home. Her dreams have always been very realistic, but I've realized that there's always something 'off', if that makes any sense?

It is completely normal for something to be out of place. Considering that this is the very centre of her imagination, it makes nothing but sense. And now, as I stare at the northern lights that linger on the vast skies above me - and that definitely should not be there in the first place - I cannot help but chuckle. 

An everlasting spectrum of pink and violet shine on the night sky. These are the exact colours of my hair and eyes. Even after months of nothing, I still linger somewhere deep inside of her. Interesting.

The quiet click! of the door handle turning tugs at my attention. Just as I turn around, my eyes meet her own. I can see her flinch. She's startled to see somebody standing in the middle of her room. And then, just after a brief moment of unsureness, I watch the realisation sink in.

"Kusuo?", she asks cautiously. She's not sure if I am actually here. 

"Y/n.", I sigh in relief, and before I can even properly finish saying her name, she runs into my arms. 

She catches me off guard when she pushes against me. I let out a low grunt, and her arms are tight to wrap around my neck. I can feel her fingers dig into my hair. She pulls me close, her eyes carefully examining my face.

"It's really you.", she mumbles as her face reddens, "I've... I've missed you."

She really did.