New Recruits and Expedition

Later that same day, when Sonny and Bean were found dead, the Military Police checked all of the Trainee Corps' equipment, hoping they'd find something that linked them to the murders. Due to the Military Police being unable to find anything suspicious, all soldiers were cleared of suspicions. A few days later came when the 104th Trainee Corps chose their regiments. A few Scout soldiers, Eren and Y/N being examples, came along with the Commander to the recruitment area. When Erwin stood on the stage alone, Eren and Y/N stood out, watching the Commander give his speech.

"Observe, Eren. The Commander has his ways with words, and the things he says are absurd and crazy, but he's good at convincing people, even if it does scare people away. If I were to guess, he's going to say something that would drive people away: the Scout Regiment's mortality rate, for example. He did that last time when he recruited people from my class, so there's a good chance he'll do it to yours." Y/N said with a neutral look on her face. She was already used to Erwin's speeches, as they were one of Erwin's strong points as the Commander, and she knew how easily he could get his way by his sly words.

"R-right..." Eren hesitated. The young teen took Y/N 's word for it as Erwin had already begun his speech, and Eren wholeheartedly trusted her as his superior officer and someone to who he was the closest in the Scout Regiment.

Midway through his speech, Erwin reveals his plans with the Scout Regiment to return to Wall Maria, recover Shinganshina, use Eren's titan power in the meantime, and discover the titans' secret' origins in the Jeager household. Y/N was appalled by the Commander to reveal such information to the public, especially those who were unlikely to join the Scout Regiment in the first place. But then again, Y/N trusted the Commander. When Y/N looked at the recruits, she winced. They all looked so scared when Erwin talked about the Scouts' mortality rate, and most of them would likely be dead within a few months.

"...That's all. Those of you who wish to join the other regiments may leave," Erwin finishes his speech, dismissing all those who didn't want to join the Scout Regiment.

"We should go, Eren," Y/N said, placing a hand on his shoulder as she turned back to leave the stage.

"Alright," Eren responds, following Y/N, "What was the Commander thinking...? He must be crazy to reveal all that much information to everyone,"

"I'm just as confused as you are. Commander Erwin must have an objective, a hidden agenda specifically to say. I doubt he'll reveal much of his plan, especially considering he's already initiating an expedition soon after recruiting people from your class. We'll have to see when we leave the walls next month," Y/N said.

The Special Operation Squad discussed where the squad would be placed in the formation at some point. Gunther had explained to the team where they would be in the Long Distance Formation, which would be in the far back of the formation by the centre.

"I haven't been told what to do with my power if it becomes necessary. Aren't we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves?" Eren asked Gunther when he had given out the instructions, and he had mentioned to Eren that the expedition would give him some experience of what it would be like to be in the Scouts' trip beyond the wall.

There was a moment of silence between the two until Gunther responded, "Did you understand what the Commander meant when he asked you that question back then?" Gunther referred to the question where Erwin had asked Eren who the enemy was back when Sawney and Bean were killed. "Did you guys understand it?"

The members responded with a no since they did not understand what the Commander meant when he asked the question. While the squad was distracted, Eren looked to the side after hearing some voices from a distance. When he looked in the direction where the voices came from, he saw a group of people and instantly recognized two people from that group as his classmates from the 104th Cadet Corps.