4 : Doubtful Love

4 : Doubtful Love

In the depths of her heart, Sarah harbored a tumult of emotions, a blend of suspicion and apprehension that clung to her like a persistent shadow. She could sense James's act, a façade that was as transparent to her as glass, yet the motive behind it remained shrouded in mystery, igniting a flicker of fear within her. As James stood before her, Serena cradled securely in his arms, Sarah found herself retreating inwardly, her actions betraying her turmoil as she busied herself with the dresses laid out before her.

Each garment she sifted through was a masterpiece in its own right—lavish fabrics and intricate designs speaking volumes of their worth. Yet, amidst the sea of luxury, one dress stood out with a stark, captivating allure—the black one. It was an embodiment of elegance, a piece so exquisite that it seemed to eclipse the rest in comparison.

"So, you like them?" James's voice, tinged with that undeniable charm that often bordered on seductive, cut through the silence, pulling Sarah's attention upwards reluctantly.

Her gaze met his, and in that moment, a wave of unease washed over her. James, a man whose decisions and actions had always stirred a whirlwind of controversy, especially his marriage to Jenna, a woman significantly his senior, solely for her wealth. Sarah's opinion of him had been etched in stone—a man of dubious character, capable of descending to any depths.

"Yeah. They all are beautiful," Sarah managed to say, her voice barely above a whisper, laden with a forced appreciation for the dresses. Her mind, however, was racing, plotting a surprise that would unsettle him, eagerly anticipating the moment his facade would crumble.

Before James could respond, Serena, ever the innocent intervenor, piped up with a request so pure it momentarily bridged the chasm between them. "Saru, please wear that black one. It'll look good on you."

James's gaze softened as he looked down at his daughter, a smile spreading across his face—a smile that reached his eyes and revealed a glint of genuine adoration. Serena, his beacon in the tumultuous sea of life, held a place in his heart rivaled by few.

Sarah's heart warmed at the scene, momentarily allowing her to forget the animosity that hung between them. She reached out to Serena, her fingers gently pinching the child's rosy cheeks, eliciting a giggle that filled the room with its innocence.

Yet, the moment was fleeting. James's stare, intense and unsettling, bore into her, making her skin prickle with awareness. Sarah struggled to maintain her composure, her gaze darting away from his mesmerizing blue eyes that seemed to hold her captive with an unspoken promise of depth and intrigue.

Their past encounters, marked by tension and disdain, flashed through her mind—a history of rebuffed advances and sharp exchanges. Yet, nothing had prepared her for the shift in dynamics that one night had brought, a night that had inexplicably drawn them into a vortex of unresolved tension and unspoken attraction.

The unexpected arrival of Lucy, Sarah's best friend, draped in the elegance of a red gown that accentuated her natural beauty, momentarily shattered the thickening atmosphere. Sarah's attempt to catch a glimpse of her friend resulted in a near fall, her hands instinctively reaching out to James for support. The brief contact, his muscles firm under the fabric of his shirt, sent an involuntary shiver through her.

"Are you all right?" James's concern, genuine or feigned, broke through her defenses as he gently cupped her cheek, asking if she was alright. Sarah found herself caught in the web of his gaze once again, her resolve melting under the warmth of his touch.

"Be careful,Saru. No one would like to see a bruised bride." Serena's playful warning and James's tender interactions with his daughter only served to deepen Sarah's turmoil, awakening a longing she had never allowed herself to acknowledge. Yet, as James and Serena departed, leaving her in the company of Lucy, Sarah was left to grapple with the confusion and desire that James's proximity had stirred within her.