Chapter 3

The morning after girls night out, I wake up with a pounding headache, a dry mouth, and an aching body. I'm definitely not twenty-one anymore. "Here," I hear Noah's voice say. How had he even realised I'm awake? "Aspirin and a big glass of water."

"Thank you," I mumble. Rolling to my back, I sit up, my back leaning against the headboard of our bed. I swallow the pills and drink the entire glass of water quickly. But that isn't such a good idea because my stomach rolls.

"I made you breakfast. A greasy breakfast sandwich, sausage egg and cheese on an everything bagel. Extra ketchup. And because I know you so well and love you beyond reason, I put a hashbrown on the sandwich for extra carbs and grease."

"You're amazing," I tell him seriously.

"I know." He grins at me, a towel wrapped around his waist. He must have just come from the shower. "Cole is coming over for dinner tonight. We need to go over the list of everything I need to get for him to help with the landscaping this weekend." He says help, but he and I both know that Cole is going to be doing ninety-nine percent of the work. The man does have his own landscaping business after all. And Noah is not so great with his hands. I'm married to a nerd. But his quick typing fingers translate well into using his fingers for other things. "I was thinking of grilling burgers. Do we have everything we need or do I need to stop at the store on the way home?"

"I'm not sure. I'll look and text you."

Thinking about the breakfast sandwich he's made me has me climbing out of bed quicker than I would have without it. Still naked from last night, I pull on a pair of loose joggers and a t-shirt. A shower will have to wait; the kids are going to be up soon. On my way out of the bedroom, I kiss Noah's naked shoulder. Hopefully I can eat at least half of my breakfast before Kevin and Evie are up.

Once in the kitchen I take two gigantic bites of my breakfast bagel before pouring myself a cup of coffee. Two bites and I'm already starting to feel better. Noah has always made the best hangover food. In college, he could make an amazing breakfast bagel just in the tiny dorm he shared with his roommate.

Pulling eggs and bacon from the fridge, I make a list of the thing we'll need to grill burgers. I'm typing the list to Noah when he comes into the kitchen. If I give him a list on paper, he'll lose it, but if it's in a text message, he gets everything. "I'm texting you the list."

"I've got to run early today. I've got a meeting and I'm going to try and sneak out early."

"Have a good day, handsome."

"See you." Noah kisses me deeply before leaving.

I've got my breakfast sandwich almost finished when I hear giggling coming from Evie's room. Kevin always goes in and wakes her up. I hope they're always this close. I'm not close with my brother and the age difference is the same between us as it is between Kevin and Evie. Nurturing their sibling relationship is one of my favourite things about being a parent. Would adding a much younger sibling the mix be a bad idea? Noah is an only child. He had Cole who was basically like a brother to him, but his mom hadn't been able to have any more children. Cole has lots of siblings, but he doesn't speak to any of them. They're all illegitimate. His dad stepped out on his mom up until the day he died. He might even have more siblings than he knows about.

Knowing the hangry hunger is coming, a habit my kids definitely get from me, I start working on their breakfast. The smell of bacon is a sure fire way to get them downstairs without me having to call them. Putting bacon in the pan, I turn it on before starting to crack eggs. Breakfast is halfway done, the toast in the toaster and the eggs just in the frying pan with butter, when I hear the pitter patter of little feet scrambling down the stairs. "Mommy!" Evie shouts. Her voice isn't helping my headache. The aspirin hasn't started working yet. "It smells yummy!"