Chapter 4: Clash

The echoes of footsteps in the empty hotel hallway mixed with the various muffled sounds of the guests within their rooms. From TVs to music, laughter and talking, even the sound of a shower running. Esra and her companion walked towards their room with Danny in tow. Nestled in this large man's arms, his body was covered in sticky sweat, short breaths and small shivers made it seem as though he were sick and running a fever.

The hallway seemed to go on forever not one person passed them or was even seen as they walked, every passing second grew longer and longer. Something was wrong with Danny but somehow he wasn't panicked or frightened, just more curious and cautious than anything. Finally, they stopped in front of hotel room number 111, Esra proceeded to pull out a hotel key card from her robe pocket. She paused before scanning it and looked at Danny, taking in his current condition, "I know you didn't ask for this, but understand it's not my position to harm you in any way... Quite frankly it's the opposite..."

The lock on the door clicked loudly along with the should of the door handle opening. After they all entered Esra shut and locked the door once more, her companion gently set Danny down in the center of the only bed. Once laid down his eyes scanned the room, looking for any potential clues or pieces to hint at who these people are. No obvious luggage or clothes, no outside food or drinks, not even so much as a set of car keys laying out, "Is this really their room?" He wondered.

Esra walked to the other side of the room and grabbed the rolling office chair from the desk in the corner. She sat down and scooted in close to the bed in which Danny laid.

"I want to take a brief moment to explain what's happening to you Danny, keeping you in the dark any longer would be pointless and quite frankly a hindrance going forward. Your body is currently undergoing a serious evolution, within you sleeps a great and powerful presence. Now is the time for him to awaken to his full potential."

Danny's eyes widened with shock, "What the actual hell is she talking about? She can't be referring to Voltaire can she?" His heart raced faster with each panicked thought. The sensation was terrible, it was as if his heart was digging through his flesh from within to escape. Seeing his panic Esra stood from her chair and grabbed Danny by the chin to get him to look at her.

"Listen to me we're running out of time, human bodies aren't made to hold 2 souls at once, you'll die soon if we don't hurry. I'll explain in full later but for now, I'm going to use my magic to help you sleep and open up your subconscious. This should slow the process to buy us more time. Don't fight the fall, let go and let the magic work. Once you're standing in the dream, run and find him. Make the deal and wake up!"

Before confused words could exit his lips, Esra placed a swift but gentle kiss on them. Everything went dark, Danny felt as though he was falling into an empty void, he couldn't even blink let alone scream or move. He just sank into the depths of a darkness unlike any other. 

Meanwhile, Esra pulled away from Danny's lips, she wiped her mouth with her sleeve and stepped away. Her eyes softened as she watched as Danny drew in slow, deep, long breaths, "He looks so peaceful when he sleeps." she thought.

The spell had worked just as planned now all they could do is wait and hope. Suddenly her eyes snapped back to attention from Danny to the door for the room. "Leon.." she called. Out from the bathroom stepped the man who had carried in Danny. He had changed clothes from his bartender's uniform into more formal black pants and vest, his long blonde hair tied up neatly, his thick mustache freshly combed. Leon turned to face Esra as he finished rolling up his sleeves, "Can you sense them yet? Are we about ready for company?".

Esra nodded, she walked over to the mirror by the door and looked at herself. "I think it's appropriate that I change as well, after all I want to make a good first impression on them, well... that is if they don't try to kill me first." Leon placed a hand on Esra's shoulder, "I refuse to let that happen my lady, those young guardians won't get past me." Esra smirked and moved Leon's hand from her shoulder, she snapped her fingers sending an electrical pulse through the room.