Chapter 8: Denouement

The chamber was still and silent after the blast, Danny's whole being felt out of focus and dizzy. His breath was shallow and fast, whatever it is he just did took a lot out of him. About a minute had passed and the only sound he could hear was his racing heartbeat. Shoving the blade into the ground Danny caught himself before falling to a knee. Taking a minute to refocus himself his eyes were drawn upward to the hole created by his attack. The Soul chamber wall was reassembling itself, looking around the rest of the room all the damage done was completely repaired or in the process of.

Voltaire shot up swiftly from his spot with a loud gasp for air. Relieved Danny faced him, "That was close I thought you were dead!"

With a loud facepalm Voltaire laid flat on his back, "Danny if I was dead then you would be too, What part of combined souls did you miss? Our fate in this lifetime is forever bonded."

Now breathing normally Danny just shrugged his shoulders, "So what just happened? How did I do that? Did we...?"

Standing up slowly, Voltaire dusted himself off and with a serious tone replied, "No, that thing is still alive. I have a hunch as to what happened but I'll need to confirm it first...with her."

Danny returned to his feet, taking a second to pull the sword from the ground he noted his reflection within its blade before extending it to Voltaire, as he turned to meet Danny's gesture he noted the look in his eyes. Determined and Ready, a look unlike any other. "I'll follow your lead and ask questions later... partner."

Voltaire's eyes widened for Danny had just spoken a similar phrase that his brother from another lifetime ago used to say. Though he was sure Danny didn't even realize this similarity. Voltaire could clearly remember his brother's face and voice as it flashed in his mind. With a quick fond smile, he nodded and took the sword back from Danny, raising it straight in the air the blade illuminated before being absorbed back into his body.

"Alright Danny, it's time for us to test drive your new abilities and go assist Esra and your friends. A few quick points before we go, first of all going forward it'll be important that we both keep our cool this time. I'll admit I got sloppy and reckless but I refuse to let it happen again."

"Voltaire listen I understand why you lost your composure, you weren't fully prepared for that thing to bring up those memories. We can talk about that later if you want but I got your back if you got mine."

"Agreed, the second point is that somehow we were able to join together for that last attack, I'm unsure how but I feel as though if we can do it again we can kill that thing this time."

Danny was going to ask a question but then realized that now is not the best time to be chasing answers. However one question did need to be asked, "If that thing isn't dead then where is it?"

"That Danny is what brings me to my last point, one of your gifts from the cosmic is the special skill known as Spoken Command. I know very little about this particular gift however, I am aware that the user can compel living beings with intentional commands."

"So like mind control?"

"Not exactly, more so like a powerful suggestion. It's not absolute and its effects are limited."

Curling his lips inward with a sarcastic look on his face, Danny shrugged his shoulders and slapped his arms against his sides. "It's basically weak mind control, so lame why couldn't I get something cooler dammit."

Voltaire's eye twitched at Danny's remark, "You got a supernatural ability from basically a God and you shrug your shoulders with such an ungrateful remark?!"

Tensing up Danny could feel the frustration within Voltaire, he smiled awkwardly and took a couple of steps backward. Voltaire took a deep breath to calm himself, sliding a hand down his face he reset his expression, "Come on we've got work to do Daniel." Voltaire walked towards Danny who now had his arms up and crossed in front of his face in case Voltaire changed his mind. Instead, as he walked past Danny he simply whispered, "I'll make sure to deal with you later after this is finished."