Prospects

A/N:
This chapter is based on the prompt "Rain". Have a good read!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shiho has always been fond of the rain. When she was still in America, the rain helped her to find the perfect inner balance that would maximize her concentration and get the most out of the time destined to study.

But after that day— the day that drastically changed her life— rain's significance became even more profound for obvious reasons. It gave her the ray of hope she needed not to give up and not throw herself away.

The small water droplets run down her face— a series of slight and fast caresses that keep fondling her skin. She stares at the grey clouds— not too dark, not too light, just like her soul— and listens to the typical rustle that she wouldn't trade for the best music in the universe.

This reinvigorating harmony gets irremediably broken by a hand grabbing her by a shoulder and pulling her away from her room's balcony to drag her inside.

Her protector's angelic voice delights her with an immersive lecture about the risks of being exposed to the heavy rain, pointing out how soaked her clothes are and that she needs to take a warm bath to avoid catching a severe cold, threatening to leave her in the hands of his tremendously-caring mother in that case.

It's not that much of a threat for her, she has always liked Yukiko-san, and had the opportunity to get to know her better when Shinichi asked his parents to return to Japan and stay with them until the Black Organization would be defeated. He took that decision the day after she told him about her intention of joining the witness protection program so that Shiho would never be left alone at home. Also, the deduction skills of his father were— are— a cut above his and helped a lot with anticipating the moves of the men in black.

And so, after three years, the crime syndicate is finally on its knees, with only a few low-rank members still trying to avoid being captured by the secret police agencies. It's almost over, and soon Shiho will no longer be in danger.

However, even after that night— even after that kiss— the relationship between her and the detective didn't progress that much. It's not like he's ever rejected her or pushed her away; on the contrary, the way he behaves around her is the living proof of his loving affection towards her.

She can't count all the times he slipped in her bed to comfort her when she had nightmares, sometimes she would just wake up in the warmth of his hug and snuggle deeper into his chest without waking him up. On one of those occasions, his mother popped in on the scene of the crime and eventually teased them to death— but the sight of a flustered and stuttering Shinichi was worth her own embarrassment.

Nevertheless, he's never vocally officialized his feelings, so they've just been bound by this sort of romantic friendship where neither of them would make any decisive move to label their union.

She's been fine with it for all of this time, but now things are going to change.

What will happen to them when she becomes free from the black menace and has no need for his protection anymore?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knock! Knock!

"Oi Miyano, are you done?"

"I'm not Flash, Kudo-kun, ten seconds are not enough for me to get dressed."

"Okay."

.
.
.

Knock! Knock!

"Are you done now?"

"No, Kudo-kun, not even twenty seconds are enough."