Scarred Forever

Sorry for making you guys wait so much!

Happy Reading!!

(And I guess a tissue warning here would be good)

*******

Two months. She'd been in the hospital for two months. Two months that had changed his life forever. Changed him in ways that he had never imagined, changed for the better.

To have suffered those countless moments where everything seemed to be on the verge of collapse with the doctor's dire prediction of Mayra's death. The torture, the suspense of her surgery, he had cursed himself every second for putting her under the doctor's scalpel, where she could possibly die on table.

But the wheel of time never ceases to turn and all such haunting experiences remain forever as mere bitter memories, never to forget but never to relive too.

That particular philosophy brought a smile to Aamir's face, a skip in his step and peace in his heart. The time had come when they would finally bid adieu to the hospital. He was going to take Mayra back home. His home, his life, his world. All of which were empty without her, meaningless and dreary. And now his world was going to be filled with vivid colours again.

He clutched the discharge papers tightly in his hands as he headed back to Mayra's room. He had a little gift for her. She'd probably be ready by now, waiting for him. 

He stopped mid-step, disbelief washing over him as he suddenly remembered where he was. Two months back, he had rushed a bloodied, injured Mayra down this very corridor. He had leaned against the wall waiting for a word of hope. He had spent that terrifying night here, in his clothes stained with Mayra's blood, fearful of the moment when the doctor would come out and tell him that she was gone, forever.

How painful had these two months been, he wondered, recollecting all that had happened in between. The accident, the allegation of suicide, the surgery and then the slow process of recovery. Each moment had passed as though a lifetime of uncertainty and guilt. 

He shook his head firmly. He wouldn't dwell on the horrors of the past when he had a glorious future to look forward to. A blissful married life, love and happiness. 

As the sorrows had passed, the joys would come.

Mentally he prepared a checklist of said joys. A honeymoon - a laidback and lazy tour of the coast of France, bathed in relaxation and romance. Sunsrise and sunset strolls on the beach, candlelit dinners and langorous afternoons in bed, simply holding her in his arms as she talked to him or slept. He wouldn't force her physically to accept him. He would shower her with love and attention, and wait. They would consummate their marriage when she was ready. And what a momentous union it would be, two hearts and bodies, minds and souls, finally joined as one. To remain one as one for all eternity.

Second - their babies. He wanted a large family. Lots of little Mayras running around, calling him "daddy", trying to hide behind his legs from their mom who would chase them to get them to take a bath. Daughters and sons who he would love and cherish, their first nonsensical garbles of sounds that he would argue with Mayra were actual words, their first steps of a walk while holding his hands tightly with the absolute trust that daddy would never let go, their first day of school, their picnins, their life...

Such was the beautiful journey etched in his mind of the days that were yet to come. He was absolutely convinced that this was how it was going to be, how it was meant to be. He would make sure of it. 

The simple joys of life bought not by money or status, but by the acceptance and love of a loved one. Of a loving woman.

He reached Mayra's door smiling to himself. Today was a happy day indeed.