Untold Truths

This chapter is dedicated to all those people who were desperate for an update.
Love you all!!

Enjoy

****

"Mr Hassan, a word?"

Aamir broke away from his family. For the first time in days he could see smiles and even an occasional laugh. Things were looking good, and he would not allow his pessimistic brain to let him worry about Mayra's actual condition that would be known only when she would wake. He would cross that bridge when he would reach it.

"Mr Hassan, we are moving your wife to the ward. As per your request, it's a private room but only one person at a time would be allowed."

"I understand Doctor. Thank you so much." Aamir replied joyfully before turning away, wanting to run to his family to relay the good news.

"Mr Hassan, please." The doctor stopped him. "There's something else."

"What?" Aamir asked, apprehensive.

"I spoke to the Inspector in charge of your wife's case. He has instructed that nobody should be allowed to communicate with her before she gives her statement to the police as soon as she wakes. The Officer made it quite clear that he needs to know if she actually is suicidal."

"My wife is not crazy!" Aamir retorted angrily. "She is not suicidal!"

The doctor gave him an odd look before saying, "are you sure, Mr Hassan? Domestic violence can be a powerful motivator for someone to consider suicide."

Blood drained from Aamir's face as the doctor continued, "Oh yes, we know Mr Hassan. The scars on her back and on her limbs are quite obviously the result of abuse. I have shared this piece of information with the Inspector, but he says that only when Mayra gives her statement will he be able to arrest you."

"I..I"

"It is not of any concern to me, but we will follow the procedure. You may sit with her in the room, but a nurse will be there to monitor, to make sure that nobody gets to threaten Mayra, or try to change her mind about the truth. Good day, Mr Hassan." The doctor sneered and walked away, hoping that Aamir would be punished for each scar he had seen on Mayra's body.

Aamir wondered, as moved to join his family if this was how he would ultimately pay for his sins. He had hoped, ever since Mayra's surgery had been successful, that the testing period of their relationship would finally end. Little had he known that the two weeks of Mayra's near death experience hadn't been punishment enough.

Being jailed wasn't the problem. Being beaten up by policemen wasn't the issue too. In fact he would welcome it, as atonement for his many sins and injustices done to her. The problem was that he wouldn't be able to bear his beloved's pained eyes, when she would wake, accusing him of driving her to the brink of madness, eyes that told him that his torture had made her believe that death would be easier than living a life with a monster like him.

That he could not bear.

What would she say when she woke? That she hated him? That he was so barbaric, he didn't even need a reason to hurt her? That his family had been equally responsible for her pain? That she lived a life of a slave, her husband refused to acknowledge her as his wife? All because of a misunderstanding?

And what would he say to her?

How could you apologise for breaking someone's heart, over and over again? How could a small word 'sorry' suffice? If Mayra would have him arrested, when she would have him arrested, he would not even be able to see her, let alone go as far as to speak to her.