Death and Consequences

Jenny Shepard was dead.

She had gotten off the phone with Vance earlier and rushed to NCIS. Checking in as she went up to the squad room and walking towards the stairs leading to the directors office. Passing a crying Abby who was being consoled by Mcgee and Ducky.

As she entered the room Cynthia looked up surprised.

"May I help you ma'am?"

"Yes. I'm special agent Adeline Williamson. I need to make an announcement to the building. And you may want to sit down for this." She spoke softly not wanting to cause too much alarm to the younger woman yet.
Cynthia nodded and pressed the button on the phone and handed the receiver to her. Clearing her throat before she spoke. Her voice coming out of the speakers throughout the entire building.

"Good morning agents. My name is Adeline and I'm with the FBI." She took a brief pause. "...It is with my deepest regrets to tell you of the death of your director Jenny Shepard." At this Cynthia burst into tears and ran from the room.

"Please keep this knowledge within the building for the time being. All sources are being used to find the person or people responsible for this. I assure you, they will pay for their crimes against the agency. " She felt a little better at that, it was something Gibbs most certainly would say.
Hanging up the receiver she pulled her cell out. Scrolling down to her recent calls. She had called Gibbs four times since he left and he had not answered once.

She wasn't stupid. She knew he and Jenny had shared a romantic past but now she was afraid he'd shut her out.

Sitting down she tried his cell again.

"Hello?" An unfamiliar voice answered.

"Yes hello. Is Gibbs there?"

"Yeah he's here. Who's askin?" The gruff voice questioned.

"Adeline Williamson. FBI." She became slightly worried someone else was answering his phone at the moment.

"Well Adeline Williamson. Gibbs is unable to come to the phone now...but..."

"No. Just..." She sighed heavily. "...he's alive right?" Her voice cracked ever so slightly.

"He's alive darlin. And I aim to keep him that way. You've got my word." Whoever this was, she could sense he was telling the truth.

"Thank you. Just.. let him know I called."

"I will." He hung up.

Mike looked to Gibbs across the room.

"Got some FBI woman lookin for you probie." Gibbs just smiled faintly as he stared at the floor.

"Yeah I figured. She's called about six times."

"And why the hell haven't you answered?"

"Because I love her and I can't do that now Mike." He narrowed his eyes a bit at him. Mike held up his hands and sat down with a huff.

"Easy probie. I'm just askin. I know you and Jenny had a past. But that's why it's called that. It was in the past. Don't let this one get away. "

"I'm trying not to. She's too good for me." Gibbs sighed and ran a tired hand down his face as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I'm heading back tomorrow. I trust you can handle yourself?" He questioned his old mentor. Mike just chuckled.

"You know I can."

_____________________________________________

She paced the floor in front of the directors office. Vance had since taken up the mantel to keep the order for the time being. She had heard that the bodies and the team were to arrive back shortly. Her heart pounding in her chest as she was worried about Gibbs. How was he holding up? Was he keeping it bottled up in his usual way or was he a mess of emotions?