01. The Accident

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐂𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐓
❝ And I know it's long gone and that magic's not here no more... ❞

 ❞

Call me a granny, but I loved shopping at the stores.

There is something so joyful about the love you can feel just from walking through the doors of a market, store or outlet and seeing the isles of articles of clothing.  But today, I had to remind myself I had to bring something to a dinner party Koa's boyfriend was hosting.  

He wasn't bad, I just hadn't known him too well, as I had only met him a handful of times, but it seemed like things were getting more and more serious between Koa and him now.

I already had found a cute tee-shirt from the clearance rack in the women's section I was going to treat myself to, but I realized I should have saved the personal shopping until I was done with the business shopping because I was beginning to realize... I hated picking out dinner party gifts.  How do you know what everyone will like?  Maybe I should pick out a case of cookies because everyone likes cookies.

If I had gone to the bakery section, I would have probably saved myself a lot of heartache in the long run.

My brown eyes stared at the wall of wine in front of me as I was obviously confused.  I played with the ring I wore on my left hand nervously.  My nails were french tipped, my hair straightened to perfection, and my lips full despite wearing a matte plum colour.  I was getting more and more nervous about the party.  God, anxiety really just had a way of springing up at the worst moments, huh?

When I finally had settled on a wine, I dropped my left hand in order for it to pick up the bottle.  When my hand had collided with another.

"Oh!" I stumbled back, just a bit shocked as I had thought I was standing around in the aisle by myself.  I turned to my left and saw a man just as confused as me.

He was lean and fit, but his coat said he was an expensive man.  Sunglasses dangled from the collar of his shirt as he moved, probably scared by my exclamation.  His honey eyes searched my own until a chuckle escaped from his lips, seeing I was a harmless short woman.  He was also wearing really nice shoes, wherever he was going tonight, it had to be important.  He probably thought he was incredibly hot.  But... he was very good looking.  Of course, this would be the day I would embarrass myself in front of a man.  At least I was wearing makeup.

"I'm so sorry, ma'am, didn't mean to scare you," he offered a small smile.  An accent.  I was done for.

I shook my head, scratching the top of my head awkwardly.  "It's alright," I looked back to the wines, staring back at me still so intimidatingly.  "Did you uh, not see me there?"

He tilted his head.  "Well, no.  I thought I could just grab one while you were standing there staring off into space."

"Mmm, they invented a word for that.  It's called excuse me."

"That's two words."

"Same difference."

"Pretty and funny, wow," he said, taking a step closer.  A smile formed on his face as he saw me struggle to bite back a grin of my own.  Fuck, smooth.  Further staring into my soul, he asked, "what's your name?"

Was this man dressed head to toe in Gucci, Calvin Klein and probably all the designers under the sun really trying to hit on me right now?

I looked between the bottle and back to him.  "Are you hitting on me right now because this is the last bottle?"  He glanced over at the shelf, before taking the bottle of Cabernet into his hand.  My lips fell parted at the sight.  "Helloooo?"

"This isn't the last bottle, there's another there," he nodded with his head.

I looked over.  Maybe I should have worn my taller wedges, but I did not account for this to be happening.  "Well then, Mr Big Man, could you please reach it for me?"

His face softened.  "Yes, of course, here, take this one," he handed over the slick black bottle of cabernet, and I grabbed it, hearing my thick ring clink against it.  I could feel the heat radiating from his hand as we touched again, this time on purpose, and I raised my eyes.  I was pleased to see he was already looking at me, too.  "I hope you have a lovely evening, with your wine."

I laughed, an image of me sitting at a table in a house full of people I barely knew starting to make my nerves flare-up.  I would definitely be having a glass or three.  "Thank you..."

"Mr Big Man," he finished my sentence, smiling widely.  Laugh lines formed kindly by his eyes, and his smile was genuinely attractive.

"I was going to say sir, but Mr Big Man rolls off the tongue better," I laughed.  "Well, have a good one," I said, and he bent his head down at me politely.  I walked past him then, waiting a couple of seconds before turning around to see if he was still watching me as I turned the corner.  He was.  My hair shone like a cartoon.  I flashed one last smile at him before disappearing out of the aisle and out of sight.

I didn't know until later on, but he wasn't even planning on going to that store that day (meanwhile, it was the only plan I had getting me through that week).  Last minute, he had decided to get a bottle of wine and drove over to a random store on the side of the road he was taking.  Fate?  Or something worse?

11/16/2021