03. The Secrecy

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐘
❝ Oh, your sweet disposition and my wide-eyed gaze. We're singing in the car, getting lost upstate... autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place, and I can picture it after all these days... ❞

 ❞

Blurting out lyrics to random Selena Gomez songs, even if they weren't the right lyrics, as Tom and I took a drive to a secluded area in upstate New York, I had never felt more at peace.  Sometimes it was getting to be a bit much, the secret flirting when no one was looking, holding hands when no one was around, special text tones for each other with locked phones so our friends wouldn't be able to get inside.

"It's been said and done, every beautiful thought's been already sunggg," Tom belted out, bringing my hand up to his lips, kissing my interlaced fingers ever so softly.  I let out a sigh.  I was falling harder and harder for him more and more every day, so the secrecy I figured, was worth it.  At the time, at least.

"Aye, Bebe, you're giving me the butterflies," I said, biting back giggles.  When I failed, harmonious laughter from me causing Tom to laugh himself, I turned to look out the window in embarrassment.

"You're so great, Josefina," he said.  I turned to look at him, and he was already staring at me.  Oh dear Lord... the things this man was doing to me.  And he must have known, his face was evident that he was confident, doing everything he did with ease and words falling out of his mouth with the smoothness of water.  He knew that every single motion he took would overcome me, have such a hold on me, that I was in his grasp.  He lay a trap, he lead the horse to water, and now I was sitting in the passenger seat of his car, a picnic blanket folded over my lap.  The picnic blanket lay over jeans, jeans that lead to a warm pair of boots with faux fur that resembled Uggs.  How could I be mad, when I was at peak comfort?

"Oh wow," I peered out the windshield, envious of how the fall leaves changed color with such grace.  Trees were everywhere, providing a sort of comforting shield to protect us from the outside world, from anyone else looking in.  "It's so pretty."

Tom nodded in agreement as I felt the car take a turn.  "Yes, it is very lovely," the cutest smile played on his lips.  I couldn't believe how fast I was falling for him — him — this guy who had probably only hit on me because of jealousy, this guy who had brought the same liquor to the same party as I.  Now here we were, picnic basket in the backseat, a playlist of hits from the 2010s, and if I were to go missing today no one would know where I last was, because despite my budding feelings for him, I had not yet told a single soul about the relationship we had begun to share.  His eyes wandered around, peaking under a baseball cap, wearing comfortable jeans and a sweater — same as me.  Lowkey and comfortable.  That was us.

That was the people we used to be.

12/19/2021
yayy short chapter 'cause i got a small attention span!!