Chapter 20: The Murder Hut

Y/N's POV
One month later

I hear footsteps out in the living room and Stan say, "Step right up, folks, uh, to a world of... enchantment, or whatever." Oh crap I'm not dressed for this.  I looked down at my clothes.  Then again pregnancy clothes in this era are pretty frumpy in general. I made my way into my bedroom as quickly as I could and shut the door.

I laid on the bed and curled up on my side. I immediately grabbed the pillow that used to be Stanford's and hugged it tightly. It was starting to lose his scent. I buried my face into the pillow and started to cry. I knew it was going to happen but it still hurts. The last pieces of him that are with me are Teddy and Stan. And Stan is nothing like Ford...

After a little while, I hear someone knock. "Hey, Y/N. Can I... come in?" Stan's gravelly voice said through the door.

"As long as there's no one else out there, yeah." I replied just loud enough for him to here before burying my face back into the pillow.

I felt the bed sink next to me. "How ya holding up, toots? Need anything?" I look up at him, exhaustion etched deeply into his face.

  "Stan, you look like shit." 

  He rolled his eyes.  "What a confidence booster you are, Y/N."  Stan patted my leg.  "You still haven't answered my question."

  "I'm fine.  You, however..."  I struggled to sit up.  Damn it Teddy.  I love you but do you really have to make it so difficult to move?  "You need to take a break." 

  "No I don't.  I'm not gonna rest until I make things right." 

  "Stanley."  I say sternly as I grabbed his face to make him look at me.  His eyes went wide and his cheeks turned pink.  "I probably shouldn't tell you this but..."  I sighed.  "It's going to take a while for you to fix the portal.  If you keep pushing yourself this much, you'll work yourself to death.  In the show you only had two things you had to do; run a tourist trap while masquerading as your brother and work on the stupid machine that's in the basement.  Now that Teddy and I are added into the equation, you're under so much stress- don't even deny it-" I cut myself off as he was about to object.  "You're under so much stress that it's going to burn you out.  Where I came from, you had to be under that kind of pressure constantly.  Whether it was school, jobs, parents, or society.  There's always at least two, but it often turns into more and the situations get more complicated.  So PLEASE try to take care of yourself while it's still possible to do."  I took a breath and let go of Stan's face.  "Okay lecture over." 

  He blinked as he processed everything I had just said before sighing.  "Okay.  I'll ease up on the portal."  Stan stood up and cleared his throat.  "I'm... uh.  Gonna shower.  Call me if you need anything, alright?  I might be easing up on one of my responsibilities but that doesn't mean I'm going to be paying less attention to what you need." 

  I scowled.  "I'm not completely helpless, Stan."

  "You're getting there."

  "Oh shut up."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"How am I going to pull this off?" I heard Stan question out loud as I made my way down the stairs as best as I could. "There's no way I'll be able to keep this up for longer than a year or two."

"Stan you need to have more confidence in yourself." I say as I rounded the corner to the kitchen, making him jump.

"Y/N! Christ you scared me." He looked defeated. "I don't know how I'm going to keep making attractions for long enough. I don't even know how long I need to be doing this."

"Don't worry about it, okay? I'll help you as much as I can. It might take a little while for me to do as much as you, but I'll get there. For now, though..." I grinned. "I'll help you come up with attractions. I am, after all, a monster hunter of sorts."

Stan crossed his arms. "You better be talking about ideas for fake attractions, because there's no way that I'm letting you into the woods in your current condition. In fact, you will be going in there at ALL. Your kiddo isn't gonna be without a mother, not on my watch." 

  I rolled me eyes.  "For your information, I've had to learn how to defend myself while helping Ford do field research so I'm more than capable of surviving the forest.  But yes, I'm talking about fake attractions.  Real creatures would be too dangerous to display, even when they're dead some of them are a hassle to deal with.  It would make us liable for lawsuits." 

  He held up his arms in defense.  "Okay okay.  Fair enough.  I still don't want you putting yourself at risk though." 

  "Stanley, we have to be partners in this.  Real business partners and fake romantic partners.  You're gonna have to trust me when I say that I know what I'm doing or else things will fall apart at the seams." 

  I could tell that he was feeling a little forlorn when I mentioned that we had to fake being a couple.  He sighed.  "Yeah I get it.  For now though, you can come up with ideas to put on display and I'll make 'em.  Now go get some rest." 

  I pouted.  "You're being way too overprotective.  My legs fell asleep.  I've been in bed too much, Stan.  Please let me do some things around the house."  I gave him my best puppy eyes. 

  He groaned and looked away.  "Stop looking at me like that, toots.  You know what that does to me."  I stopped and gave him a look of confusion. 

  "Umm... I don't actually.  What does it do to you?"

  He turned bright red.  "Err.  Nothing.  Yeah go ahead and do stuff.  I'm... uh... gonna work on the portal."  He practically ran down the stairs.  

  Huh.  Well now I know what me doing that does to him.  Guess I'll have to use that as a last resort tactic to get through that stubborn head of his.  I shrugged and went to clean the kitchen.  "I'm gonna have to talk to him about scraping food off of plates.  This is ridiculous."