Chapter 22: Someone to Trust

Y/N's POV
The next day

"Stan, do you have everything packed already?" I asked as he helped me get dressed to leave the hospital.

"Yes, I did." He said as did his best to avoid seeing anything. "So how long does it take for your belly to go back to normal?"

"Dr. Rosenthal said it typically takes two months to completely go away." I sighed. "Which really sucks. It would be nice to not feel fat anymore."

Stan rolled his eyes. "Y/N, you're not fat. You were pregnant and are now recovering from that."

"That doesn't exactly help me feel better, Stan." There was a knock at the door. We both turned to it. "Come in."

A nurse walked in with a smile. "Mrs. Pines, your ride is here whenever you're ready."

"Alright thank you." I say happily.

Stan looked at me in confusion. "Someone else is driving you?"

"Oh... I forgot to tell you." I laughed sheepishly. "My mom came here from New Jersey to help out while I recover more at home."

He turned pale. "Elise is here? She's going to know something's up when she sees me-"

"I already know what's going on." A voice says from the door. We both turned around.

"Mom!" I went to her and hugged her tightly.

"Hi sweetie. It's been too long." She stroked my hair lovingly. "I'm so sorry with what happened to Stanford. It must have been so devastating... I wish I could've been here to get you through it." She whispered into my ear.

I sniffled. "Thank you." I let go of her and wiped the tears out of my eyes. I turned to Stan. "I started writing to her when things started to spiral down about six months ago. He never knew because he was so consumed with the project to even notice." I looked at her and smiled. "It really helped me while I was feeling alone and having horrible night terrors." I looked back to Stan, who was still looking unsure. "Don't worry. She hasn't said a word about where we are nor the situation we are in to your family."

"Your mother is a good friend to me Stan. But..." She smiled apologetically to him. "Your parents aren't exactly the most stable of people. They wouldn't be too happy if they found out what happened."

He chuckled awkwardly and scratched the back of his head. "You could say that again."

Then Elise saw Teddy's sleeping figure in the carrier. She gasped. "Oh my... he is so cute." She approached him as quietly as she could. "I wish I could touch him but I don't want to wake him up." She said softly before turning to me and grinning. "Teddy is going to look exactly like Stanford when he grows up."

"You think so?" I looked at my son adoringly. "I'm hoping he will look like him but at the same time I'm hoping he won't."

Elise gave me a sympathetic look. "I understand, honey. It would be hard to see him without it actually being him." She squeezed my arm gently. "Alright, let's go back to your place. We got a lot to do to get both you and Teddy settled in."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

As we pulled up to the house, I immediately felt a flurry of emotions. I was relieved to be home. Excited to start raising my son. Scared about screwing up.  Elise pulled me away from my thoughts. 

  "Go ahead and get Teddy to your bedroom.  Stan and I will bring everything to the house."  She smiled warmly.  I nodded and brought Teddy's carrier into the house.  I took him out and held him securely in my arms.

  "This your home, sweetie.  You're going to have some miraculous memories here."  I sighed softly before taking him up the stairs and into the bedroom.  I laid him down gently in his bassinet before laying down in my own bed.  I gently rocked him side to side as he started to fuss.  "We'll be okay.  I promise."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Stan's POV

  As I brought the last of the stuff into the house, I heard the phone ring.  "Oh I'm so sorry.  I totally forgot that work was going to call me through your phone, I hope you don't mind!"  Elise said quickly before making her way over. 

  "Oh.  Um.  Not a problem.  I'll just... check on Y/N."  I said hesitantly.

  She nodded.  "Sounds good.  I'll be up in a moment."  Elise then picked up the phone as I made my way into Y/N's room. 

  When I walked in, I could feel my heart melt.  Y/N was fast asleep, with her hand in the basket-thing that had Teddy in it.  This is definitely going to be much different than any other experience in my life.  I gently sat on the bed and tucked a strand of hair behind Y/N's ear.  I wish things could've turned out differently.  That I didn't snap and Ford would still be here for his family.  Or that Y/N came with me when I asked her to so she wouldn't have had her heart broken.  I sighed.  There's no use in wishing for things that have already happened.  Anyway... what's taking Elise so long? 

  I stood up and made my way downstairs.  Before I could round the corner, I heard Elise's voice.  "-no problems at all sir."  I froze as she kept talking.  "I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary."  She paused.  "Of course I understand.  I'll keep in touch."  I heard the phone get hung up in the receiver.  Shit!  I quickly made my way to the bathroom and locked the door.  What the hell was that all about?