Chapter 34: Worry

Y/N's POV
A month later

  I paced around the shop, biting my fingernails.  Teddy has been going out more often lately after his shifts at the vet.  It's great that he's getting more social interaction but something feels off.

  "Is something wrong, Mrs. Pines?"  Soos asked, looking concerned. 

  I looked at the fourteen year old boy that has managed to grow at least a foot and a half since he started working here two years ago. "I'm just worrying about Teddy."

Soos rubbed his chin in thought. "Maybe he discovered a species he hasn't seen before and is learning more about them."

He always manages to be at least partially right. But still... "why would he say that he's hanging out with friends then?"

He shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe one of them knows what's going on." Soos them went back to sweeping the floor.

"That's not a bad idea, actually." I made my way to the phone in the living room. "Thanks Soos!"

I rang up Daluh's shop. "Hello and thank you for calling Ahmad's Shop of Wonders, Daluh speaking."

  "Daluh, it's Y/N.  I-"

  "Y/N!  It has been too long since I have heard that wonderful voice of yours.  How are you, my precious flower?"

  I flinched at the nickname.  "You come here every Friday for poker."  I pinched the bridge of my nose. 

  "Any period of time without hearing you is too long, beautiful one." 

  "I thought I've made it clear that I don't want you flirting with me.  I am married."  I sighed deeply. 

  "Marriage is a foreign concept to genies.  We love who we want whenever we want." 

  I rolled my eyes.  "Could you just pass the phone to Isra?  I need to ask them about something."

  "I am afraid I cannot do that.  She is with her 'special friend' right now." 

  I frowned.  "Special friend, huh?  Thanks anyway." 

  "Please call back anytime, my sweet."

  I hung up the phone.  Maybe Tate McGucket knows where Teddy is.  I punched in the numbers for his home phone and waited a couple seconds. 

  "Hello?"  

  "Hey Tate, it's Y/N." 

  "What can I do for you?" 

  "I was just wondering if you knew where Teddy is?"  I crossed my fingers.

  I hear a feminine voice in the background.  "It's Mrs. Pines."  Tate's voice now sounded more distant, answering the woman's question.  "She wants to know where Ted is."  He paused.  He then said into the phone.  "Isra said that he's probably on a date with his girlfriend."  The woman, who was just identified, started to sound panicked.  "What?  I was just answering her quest-"  The phone suddenly hung up before I could process what Tate just said.