four

For the next few days, Evelyn sulked endlessly. Her siblings tried to cheer her up in so many ways, but nothing worked. She was stuck in her room all day and the more she asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" the more she lost her mind.

Evelyn laid on her side. It was about nine a.m. and she was wide awake. Three light knocks on her door pulled her out of her trance. "Ev?"

"Come in!"

"Hey," Michelle cautiously stepped in the room.

"Hi."

Barely any words were exchanged as Michelle handed her daughter some food. Evelyn didn't want to come downstairs, so Michelle figured she'd bring it up to her.

"Thanks mom," Evelyn didn't look up to her mother as she said this. Michelle's felt a sudden wave of sadness wash over her.

"Ev, I'm so sorry."

"What for?"

"For keeping you here," Michelle lightly grabbed her arms as she sat, "I feel so, so bad, but your father doesn't want us to leave. I know it's not safe for you here, Evelyn. I would do anything just for you to be happy!"

Evelyn's heart broke along with Michelle's composure. "I'm fine mom, I promise."

"No, you're not fine Evelyn! I send you outside one time and you come back with bruised ribs and a split chin!" Michelle cried. Evelyn didn't know what to do. She wanted nothing more than to comfort her mother, but it was impossible. Michelle was right and they both knew it.

"Mama, I'll adjust."

"How are you supposed to adjust in a place like this?" Michelle exclaimed. "These people are cruel!"

"I've never tried before. Maybe they can change!" Evelyn didn't want to believe this. She's been living there for years and she was still hated. Michelle sighed defeatedly.

     Michelle left her daughters' room, leaving Evelyn to think to herself. She came to the conclusion that if the ranchers had gotten used to her, they'd start leave her alone. She picked up her shoes before running downstairs.

"Where are you going?" Scott stopped her.

"Just getting some fresh air," Evelyn shrugged, the pain in her ribs increasing the more she worked her body.

Scott looked at her suspiciously. She worried that he didn't trust her, but it's not like she was completely lying to him, so it didn't matter. "Okay, just be careful."

Evelyn exhaled in relief once she stepped outside, letting her feet take her wherever she pleased. She suddenly grew nauseous. She was making a terrible decision, and she knew it, but maybe it would benefit her in non-direct ways. She hoped that her father would consider moving if she happened to get jumped again.

Nobody had seen her yet, so she walked and walked with no problems, exploring parts of the ranch she didn't know existed.

She now stood, petting a horse she named "Susie", when somebody approached her.

"You're not supposed to be here," Troy Otto called out.

"Am I doing something wrong?" She questioned, looking over at him. He took notice of her injuries. Her shirt had slightly ridden up, allowing Troy to see the blue and purple marks all over her stomach.

"You're not supposed to be here," he sternly repeated.

"But I'm not doing anything wrong."

Troy scoffed. "Go home."

"No," evelyn furrowed her eyebrows. "For ten years all I've been doing is sitting in that house. Sorry for wanting a little change in scenery."

Troy stayed silent, not knowing exactly what to say. She turned back to the horse. "What's it's name?" she asked, not wanting to call it something random.

"She doesn't have one."

"Susie," Evelyn blurted. "I'm calling her Susie."

"Susie?"

"Susie."

a/n
i need to go to sleep y'all
so here's this random chapter
lmfao part two tomorrow i guess.
i said this in a deleted
announcement but um i'll say it again -
idk if i'm just stubborn because
part of me does not want to keep
writing this book. i'm torn because
i'm so spiteful but i also have so
so many ideas :')
enough of that though, vote and comment!
wc: 676
11.17.21