seventeen

Evelyn sat with her legs crossed on her bed. The previous day's events still upset her. She tried to distract herself by doing any and every homework assignment she'd been given, but she soon finished them and had nothing else to do. She wanted to visit Susie, but at the same time, she wanted to avoid the outside world as much as possible. It seemed as though everywhere she went, Troy went, and Troy was the very last person she wanted to see. She prayed and prayed that he wouldn't come over and break into her house...

     ...but when does Evelyn ever get what she wants?

    The familiar noise of her bedroom door opening filled the room. She shut her eyes and crossed her fingers. 'Please don't be Troy, please don't be Troy,' she pleaded in her head.

     "Ev," Evelyn sighed. Why was the world always so against her? "We need to talk."

     "About what, Troy?" she seethed, not sparing one single glance at him.

     "About us."

     "Us? What about us?"

     "You're mad at me," he shut the door, stepping closer to her.

     "No! Really?" Evelyn tilted her head, her voice dripping in sarcasm.

     "Just hear me out," the semi-seriousness in Troy's voice faded away. Evelyn's blood seemed to boil at this. It was just another piece of evidence that showed he was playing her like a fiddle.

     "No," Evelyn stubbornly crossed her arms, almost like a child, "I thought I told you to leave me alone."

     "Well I'm already here so we might as well just talk it out," Troy snapped, "now move over, you're on my side."

     Troy caught a glimpse of Evelyn's already annoyed face as she looked up at him. "Your side?" she spat. "This is my bed, you're in my room. In my room, there are rules, and the first, most important rule is that Troy cannot step foot in here, ever. Leave!"

     "God, you're petty."

     "I don't make the rules."

     Troy rolled his eyes, and Evelyn couldn't tell if he was doing it playfully or if he was actually annoyed. "Just move over, Evelyn. I don't want to have to move you myself." the girl sighed, but gave in. She begrudgingly shuffled over to her "respective" side of the bed.

     "You think I'm messing around with you," Troy started. They both knew that this wasn't the strongest attention grabber, but Troy couldn't think of anything better. "I'm not. Well, I do mess around with you a lot, but not about being your friend."

     Evelyn snorted. "You really are funny."

     "I'm not joking, Evelyn."

     The dark-haired girl shook her head. "Stop it."

     "No," he paused. "I won't. I'm telling you the truth," he spoke with a pained expression that made Evelyn laugh in disbelief.

     "Yeah— at this rate you're never gonna sell it," she turned her gaze away from Troy's face. She didn't want to see any more of his looks because it would upset her, and she knew it was only a matter of time before she broke down into tears.

     "Just listen, please," he grabbed her wrist. Evelyn stared at him in confusion.

     "Why are you holding my wrist?"

     "Why are you making this so difficult?"

     "Because you're boring me. Say what you have to say or I'll really have to put the consequences of breaking my room's rules into effect."

     "Woah," Troy raised his hands, faking surrender, "I'm so scared." Evelyn rolled her eyes.

     "Talk or leave!"

     "I don't have much else to say!" out of all the things Troy had ever said to Evelyn, this statement was probably the one that held the most truth. "I'm not messing with you or anything. Trust me," he shrugged with a dismissive tone.

     "That was so convincing."

     "Alright, you're just being annoying now."

     "Like you are all the time," Evelyn threw her head around for extra emphasis.

     "No, I'm never annoying," he leaned closer to her, trying his best to get things to go back to the way they were.

     "Okay... sure..."

     "Anyways, whether you like it or not, we are friends, Evelyn. Everybody knows it. Even your family does! Your mom missed me," he teased.

     "I am so sick of you, you know that?" she looked over at him with exasperated eyes.

     "Keep telling yourself that."

a/n
soo this and the next chapter
are gonna be like pretty short
because they're not important
but also kinda important for
the future, you get what i'm
saying? anyways... i've talked
about this with sara already
but knowing the things that you
guys don't know is truly SO fun
and i love it so freaking much :)
hope y'all enjoyed!
vote and commenttt
wc: 762
02.08.22