twelve

A few hours later, Evelyn woke to her alarm like she usually did. As she expected, she felt dead. She was insanely exhausted. She rushed to turn the alarm off, not wanting to wake Troy up.

Slowly rising from the bed, she went through with her normal routine. Her plan was to get everything ready and then splash warm water in her face. That way her face would be warm and her cheeks would be red.

"Mom," Evelyn called out with a fake nasally voice. "I don't feel good."

     "Oh no," her mom dropped the blouse she was holding. "Come here, what are you feeling?"

     Evelyn coughed. "My throat hurts and I have a really bad headache," Michelle was quick to walk over to her daughter and place a hand on her forehead. "I have the chills too," she added dramatically.

     "Goodness, you are warm. Come, we'll get your father to make sure," said the woman before she grabbed Evelyn and made her way downstairs. Evelyn's heart rate increased as they passed her room. She was the one and only person who knew that the ranch owner's son was fast asleep in there. She didn't know what she'd do if she got caught.

     "Scott!"

     "Yes?" he answered.

     "I think Ev has a fever, feel her head."

     Scott walked over and Evelyn prayed he'd fall for it. Thankfully his hands were cold, she assumed he'd just washed them or something. "You definitely have a temperature."

     Evelyn coughed again, but this time made herself sound sicker. "Do I?" she asked innocently.

     "Do you feel bad? Do you think you can go to school?" Michelle questioned, jumbling her words together in concern for her sweet daughter.

"I don't know," Evelyn raised a hand to her head, doing her best to sound as ill as possible, "I don't feel good."

"Just stay home for today, okay? You can go back to school tomorrow," Scott spoke. It wasn't as noticeable as Michelle's, but his voice sounded concerned as well.

Everything had gone according to plan.

     "Bye mom, bye dad," Evelyn coughed, walking them to the front door. "Bye Katie," she taunted. The younger girl rolled her eyes. Katie wanted to stay home and rest just as much as Evelyn did.

     Michelle was on her way to work, while Scott was going to take Katie to school before beginning his own work as well. Their jobs weren't exactly ideal, but they helped out and kept them busy for the day.

     Sighing in relief, Evelyn retreated back up to her room, momentarily forgetting that Troy was fast asleep right in her bed; or so she thought. She opened her door to see him wide awake, and stretching out his arms.

     "They let you stay?" his tired voice questioned.

"Yup! They totally bought it," Evelyn laughed as she grabbed a more comfortable pair of clothes to change into.

"I need to shower and change my clothes," he stated as he stood up. "I'll be right back. Can I just leave through the front or do you think Carson will see?"

Evelyn didn't really want him to come back, she just wanted to sleep, but she knew Troy well enough to know he'd show up anyway. She just went with it. "Carson never wakes up before one in the afternoon. I'm more worried he heard us talking last night," Troy only nodded before exiting her room, leaving her to change and get some rest. Evelyn liked him better when he was tired, he wasn't so talkative.

While Troy was away, Evelyn had managed to slip into a deep sleep. It was nearing six in the morning. If it were up to her, she would've slept in another four hours, but she knew Troy would wake her sooner or later.

Troy reentered the room with both wet hair and a large temper. His father had ticked him off and he had to get out of his house. He didn't know how he was going to deal with Evelyn and her attitude, so he was relieved to see that she'd fallen asleep while he was gone. He carefully sat down on the bed, not wanting to wake her up and listen to her complain. He listened to the steady rhythm of Evelyn's breathing as he drifted to sleep right beside her.

Evelyn felt refreshed as she woke. The sun was out shining through a crack in her curtains. She was happy to get a few extra hours of sleep. Rolling over, she realized she was closer to Troy than she'd thought. "Hi?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Hello," troy smiled sarcastically.

"Why are you so close?"

"I don't know, Evelyn. Maybe it's because you took up the entire bed."

"Well I'm sorry I got comfortable in my bed," Evelyn had just hardly woken up and she was already going back and forth with Troy.

"It was so rude and inconsiderate evelyn my feelings are hurt!" he looked into her eyes, faking sadness. Evelyn rolled her eyes. "You can get off of me by the way," he slightly pushed her arm off of where it rested; right on top of his. Evelyn turned onto her side and closed her eyes.

"No!" Troy scolded. "You are not falling back asleep. I've been waiting for you to wake up for so long and I refuse to wait any longer!" Evelyn let out groans of protest as Troy pulled her onto her back, hands gripping her waist.

"What are we even doing today?" she asked with attitude. Troy simply shrugged. He watched as her expression turned blank. "Weren't you literally the one saying how this was going to be the best day ever?"

Troy chuckled. "It still can be. I mean you're here with me, how bad can that be?"

Evelyn shook her head, her lips remaining in a straight line. "I'm not even gonna say it."

"Good, 'cause I'll know it's a lie."

a/n
umm part one i guess??
i'll include them actually
doing stuff next chapter haha
this one was getting too
long. hope you enjoyed though :)
vote + comment!
wc: 1000
01.12.21