Girl Meets Maya's Mother [Part 2]

After witnessing a rather animated performance curtesy of Katy Hart, Amelia knew that Riley had meddled despite being asked not to. It was evident that the belated career day presentation had mortified Maya, who had slunk down in her seat to hide her face from the rest of the class. Not long after Riley had chased after Katy, Maya had joined them out in the hallway. Amelia raised her hand and Corey silently nodded for her to join the growing group meeting outside the classroom. Noticing Maya walking away from her mother and Riley, Amelia waved at the older Hart, before walking off after Maya. It was evident that Riley was dealing with the mother, leaving Amelia to take care of the daughter. 

"Hey, sweetie." Amelia slid down the lockers to sit next to Maya on the floor. "How ya doing?"

Maya's head fell against Amelia's shoulder in defeat, "I'm beyond embarrassed."

"She cares, Maya."

The blonde exhaled loudly, "I know, but sometimes I wish she had a different way of showing she cared. Hey, Mia?" The girl in question hummed in acknowledgement, "Can I have a minute? I just want to be alone for a bit."

Amelia gave her a soft smile, gently patting her on the head, "Anything you need, Maya."

Riley was the one to fix things; Amelia was the one to provide support. In the end, things had a way of working out - even if it wasn't in a way they expected. 

................

Once again, the friends found themselves in art class. Rather than working on depictions of Farkle, this time it was Riley's turn to model for the class. However, it was hard to draw the girl when she kept trying to talk to Maya - begging her friend not to be mad at her. Maya had said she could never be mad, but Amelia had a sneaking suspicion that what Riley was about to tell her might change that. The girl let out a worried sigh and tried to focus back in on her less than adequate sketch. 

"Wow," Ben leaned over the girl's shoulder, his eyebrows raised in surprise, "Um...that sure is something."

Amelia snorted, turning to give him a knowing look, "It's okay, Ben - I know I'm a terrible artist."

"Not terrible, just unique." Ben gave her a rather dopey smile, "How about we call it a rough, post-modern style?" His question left the girl giggling at the humorous take on her art skills. 

Glancing over at Maya's work, Amelia was once again left in awe of how talented her best friend was. She'd drawn Riley on her sketch pad, smiling and surrounded by hearts and sunshine. Ms. Kossal was also blown away by her student, praising Maya once again for her wonderful work. She also went on to discuss how excited she was to have Maya's artwork for the exhibit, which took Maya by surprise. The blonde looked over to Riley, who looked guilty, and put two and two together.

"That's the thing you're not supposed to be mad at."

Maya was about to do something; however, Mia was too late to stop the blonde from covering their friend in a splatter of green paint. The classroom quickly cleared out - even Ben, Lucas, and Farkle made a hasty exit. No one wanted to bear witness to the fight about to occur and risk getting hit with wayward glops of paint. Only Amelia stayed behind, more concerned about her friends than a new paintjob. 

"Guys, c'mon-" Amelia tried to wrestle the paint brushes out of their hands. However, both girls accidentally hit her in the face in an effort to avoid having their 'weapons' taken away. Wiping the paint off of her face, Amelia gave them both a look, "Why?"

Her friends went back to trying to cover each other in paint. Amelia put herself between the two as they argued, trying her best to keep them apart. However, rather than stop the fighting, the girl just found herself in the middle of a red/green paint war. Thankfully, Ms. Kossal walked back into the classroom and brought an end to the fight - much to Mia's relief.