The lab

an: this is gonna be a short chapter

Amara pov:

I had stayed up all night studying those strange creatures. they were definitely not something i had seen before. i woke up early to go to the lab to meet davis to show off my findings. he had no choice but to keep me on since nothing like this had been found before

I readed the office with my test tube of remaining parasites and a cage with a rabbit who was going to be my test subject. 

"Scan ID here." i heard the automated voice say

i scanned my ID on the red light and put my hand on the black screen. "Welcome, Amara." it said 

"I cant believe ive been working here for 3 years and they still haven't registered in my last name..." i muttered to myself

I walked into the laboratory and no matter how many times i went there i still acted like a little kid seeing disneyland for the first time. the entire floor was made out of a silver colored metal with tall pillars that held up the cream ceiling. the whirring of different electrical machinery's could be heard even from the door. Multiple doors lined the halls with the offices of great government scientist which i would *hopefully* be one day.

I walked down to davis' office but knowing me. i had to bump into someone on the way "OUCH" i looked up from the floor and noticed i had bumped into.

"you're late." davis called from above me. "so sorry sir." his entire aura was just frightening. something about him was definitely off...

we walked to his office and i dropped the rabbit cage on the table and the test tubes in the tube holder. "I was walking home from the laboratory around 2 days ago when i stumbled, quite literally, into a tree. i had never seen the type of tree before. i assumed it was a Cerenya oak but that wasn't the case at all. i have multiple pictures of this tree and it produced a blue glow under the moonlight. i did, in fact, test a small part of the bark but for some reason it didn't produce any luminous chemicals."

i started to bring out a small sample of bark i had cut off from the tree and my printed photo of the tree glowing brightly.

"I came to the conclusion that the tree itself isn't caused to glow by its properties, but by the creatures that inhabits it. It definitely took a short amount of time for all my research but from what i've seen so far it's like the tree breaks the theory of spontaneous generation."

I watched as the stupid smirk fell of davis' face. i smiled to myself knowing i had been the reason it was gone.

"It appears that the actual tree produces  these parasites that i found. they on their own dont glow but they cause the victims eyes to glow. i realized after using multiple test animals. and possibly my little sisters pet hamster. that the parasites seem to wipe memories of whoevers eyes they entered."

 "Now i've checked why it always enters the eyes and not the nose or maybe the ear, i couldn't figure it out, i've decided to name them tear ducts since they only seem to be able to access the brain through the tear duct of a living creature!"

i would have been able to go on and on about these new findings but bavis raised up his hand to silence me. he stood up and walked to me... this was not usual for him to do at all.

"This is all amazing amanda" "Amara" "Yeah sure. but i have to ask. is there anyway we can possibly... choose what memories to wipe?" he asked in an overly excited voice that made my stomach churn.

"uh.. well i guess if we restructure part of its dna with that of a sevydous snake it might work for specific memories. but then again-" "that's enough" he raised up his hand again like i was some toddler interrupting during silent reading.

"can you show me the 'tearduct' in action please." he asked "well i still need to-" "it wasn't a question. remove the rabbit from its cage."

I removed the animal from the small metal cage it was in. i put a small cabbage leaf under a metal bowl. as expected it went towards the bowl. i made sure i did it until i was sure it would always know where to go.

"And now, the tearducts" i said. i removed one from the test tube using tweezers so it didn't touch me. i held down the rabbit as gently as possible so it wouldn't panic. i placed the tearduct near the rabbit's eye and held it slightly firmer

I had to look away as the... thing crawled towards and into the eye of its victim. Davis however watched every second of it like it was a movie that only shows once. The already bright room got even brighter as the pupils of the animal glowed a bright blue. i had seen it many times but it was still so hard to believe that that small worm thing could cause such an effect.

Its eyes stopped glowing and it stayed in one place. The bowl sat right in front of it but the rabbit didn't move an inch. well except to look around frantically at its 'new' habitat which it had actually been in for about an hour.

Slow clapping ensued from the Davis' desk. "Very well dont amara. however. there's no way to prove this actually works based off what you showed me." he said... what? after i had just used that poor rabbit and asha's hamster he still doesn't count this as a discovery?! 

"But you saw its effects on the rabbit! i can even show you the video i too-" 

"No. You're not understanding what i said. did you ever think this maybe works on just animals? did you ever do any... human test?" he asked as if it was the most basic question

I couldn't just test something like this on a human. i didn't even want to test it on the animals at first. "But i have to give it to you this could be very useful. You said you found it on the path to greenwith?" he asked again. i definitely wasn't sure about this.

"Yes"

"Perfect. im sending some scientist there to gather them. They will be vital to stop the protest today."

what?

He walked to his window with his hand behind his back and looked out like he was contemplating something.

"The protest? Oh no no no, you see this is going to be a peaceful protest sir and they're going to be a lot of children there. even my sister. The tearducts aren't even safe to use yet we still need at least one more month to test them-"

He walked to me slowly and put his hands on my shoulders. "That's why we have you miss Ayolabi" he said. why is it today he decided to remember my last name...

"Well i am flattered that you think i can develop these in under 6 hours but-"

"Oh no no no, i don't mean you're directing the test. i mean you're going to BE the test. Get it?" he smiled that smile that made me sick to the pit of my stomach

"Goodnight Amara."

It all went pitch black.

AN: it took me like 3 days to write this bcs i had to study but i think it turned out ok. i have exams next week so won't update for a while. also im deleting the "us" story because i ran out of ideas. and in like 5 more chapters im gonna start another story called "moremi" - Adss👹