Chapter 10

The plane took off while sweat started forming from my body, a bead of sweat going down my neck and I gulped

The plane took off while sweat started forming from my body, a bead of sweat going down my neck and I gulped. The feeling not sitting well with me. I started feeling nauseous and my breathing became abrupt.

Tanya looked towards me with uncertain eyes and asked, "Are you okay?"

What kind of mindless question is that?

I took a deep breath, held my hair with a shaky hand and said, "I am fine, I, I will be back"

Standing up with wobbly legs I went to the washroom and after closing the door I slid against it and rocked myself back and forth while scratching my left hand with my nails.

My heartbeat was audible to me, every agonizing second was like never-ending torture. I reached for my pocket for the new bottle I was carrying and opened it, taking out two pills in the process and pushing them in my mouth.

"Not now," I whispered while taking shaky breaths.

There was a knock on the door followed by Tanya's voice, "Valencia? Are you okay? You've been gone for half an hour."

I swallowed a huge lump forming in my throat and answered, "I am, I am fine."

She again knocked on the door but I was focusing on my breathing.

"Valencia please, let me help you," her voice sounded pleading.

"I am fine, just, just go."

After another fifteen minutes of brutally attacking my left hand with my nails and trying to focus on my breathing, I stood up with shaky legs and unlocked the door to see Tanya standing there with a worried look plastered on her face.

"What are you doing here when I told you to leave?" I said in the harshest tone which caused her to flinch.

"I was just here to check on you," she mumbled.

"I am fine," I said.

"But you are--," I didn't listen to her, went to my seat and completed the rest of the journey while holding the armrest in a death grip.

While checking out, I stood in the corner holding my bag while she got her suitcases and looked here and there for someone.

A few moments later, a bulky man wearing a white shirt and black slacks came towards Tanya and talked with her after which she asked me to follow him.

We walked towards a grey SUV parked in the parking lot of the airport with a person sitting on the driver's side.

SUV, bodyguard and a driver, so my supposed family have money, well, good for them.

Tanya and I settled ourselves on the backseat while the guy who picked us up settles himself in the passenger seat.

The driver started the car and during the journey, I noticed both the driver and the bodyguard were tense. After a ten minute drive, the car slowed down in front of a brown building.