The Floor [11]

It was cold, but the heat of the two bodies huddled together kept them warm. She could hear his soft breaths as he slept, she looked up at the boy, his black hair strung across his face. His arms were wrapped around her small frame - even in his sleep - he was holding her so tightly, it was near impossible to move.

Alexis moved her gaze across the watered down fire pit to see the leader. A boy with auburn hair. She didn't even know his name. Leaves wedged themselves into her hair as she shifted to get a better look of him. Confident enough to sleep. That was what she thought until the glimmer of silver in the moonlight caught her attention. A knife. Held tightly in his left hand.

Her gaze shifted to the rest of the group. Weapons lodged in all their hands. A spear. An axe. A machete.

She slowly moved her head back to the boy who held her tightly, "Dustin..." She whispered, barely audible, only to be heard between the two kids. "Wake up." His eyes slowly opened and was about to open his mouth when Alexis covered his mouth. Under the darkness of the night sky, Alexis helped Dustin sit up as she looked back at the four teenagers; he soon gathered what she was on about.

Alexis stared at the boy with auburn hair, even in this state, he still looked as terrifying as always. Then to the two kids horror, a smile formed on the boys face. Dustin pushed the girl to her feet in an instant, they locked hands as they began to run through the thick, dense forest. From the distance between them and the group, Alexis could hear the leader call out, "Get them!"

Alexis had been right, the sleep was an act. She didn't want to think about what would of happened if she didn't wake up when she did. But her and Dustin were getting away, and that was what was important.

Alexis woke abruptly to the sound of Effie's voice calling for her dinner; her eyes scanned the room she was in. She was no longer in the hallway but her own room, she wondered how she got there, she didn't remember falling asleep. Rubbing her eyes, she pushed herself to her feet, grumbling a soft "coming", before stumbling out to the table.

As she entered the main room, the smell of fresh food engulfed her senses; waking her up. The smell hit her like a brick wall, hot chicken, fresh snow peas and gravy. She quickly sat down at the table, opposite Haymitch, who had seemed more sober than usual. Without asking she reached forward, retrieving her dinner; she hadn't noticed that Peeta and Katniss had sat sat either side of her.

She had felt eyes on her, she looked up to see Haymitch, a soft smile of his face as he looked at the girl. A confused look came across Alexis' face, although she just brushed it off, giving him a small smile in return.

"Tomorrow is your first day of training." Haymitch started between bites of his food. "Don't show off your major skills just yet." He said as he point a fork at Peeta and Katniss.

This printer Alexis to speak, "Try something new like, knot tying or learn how to make a fire, save your major skills for the day the critique you." She says before looking over at Katniss, "I know you can shoot."

At first Katniss looked almost startled, but she answered anyhow, "I'm alright."

"No, she's better than alright. My father buys her squirrels." Peeta buts in, "He says she hits them right in the eye every time" Katniss almost looks annoyed by this, which confused Alexis, it was a compliment.

"Peeta's Strong." Katniss started in an uptight voice.

"What?" Peeta says confused.

Alexis nodded, agreeing with Katniss to a point, Peeta was strong. He used to compete in the Districts competitions, the weight lifting ones, lifting sacks of flour and grain above his head like it was nothing. Alexis' small friend circle used to go an cheer him on, he always won. No question, he was strong.

"He can throw 100-pound sack of flour right over his head. I've seen it."

Although, Alexis was still confused by the hostility in her voice. Why was she making it a competition? There was no need for her to be acting this way.

"Okay, well, i'm not gonna kill anyone with a sack of flour." Peeta trekked but gets shut down instantly by Katniss.

"No, but you might have a better chance of winning if someone comes after you with a knife." Katniss almost yells at him, from one side of Alexis to the other. She felt like she should say something, try to diffuse the tension.

"Right, that's enough. Stop-" Alexis started before Peeta cut in, well that didn't work.

" I have no chance of winning!" Peeta yells out, Alexis instantly looked over to him, "None! All right?" Peeta looked scared. Alexis would give anything just to hold him. He looked around the room, his eyes landing on Alexis beside him, "It's true, everybody knows it" He begins again, but the it felt like he was speaking to Alexis directly as he kept his eyes on her. "Do you know what my mother said?" He spoke softly, "She said district 12 might have a winner again this year. But she wasn't talking about me. She was talking about you." His eyes drifted to Katniss, who simply looked away from the boy. Alexis' heart yearned for the boy, how could his own mother say that about her boy?

Her head racked itself for memories of the boys mother, she wasn't the nicest, an old witch would be the best description. It was an honest question that, how could she even have a husband? She was just that rude... all the time.

"Peeta-." Alexis begins as she placed a hand on his leg beside her, but he flinched away.

"I'm not very hungry" He cut her off, before leaving the room, leaving everyone to be in complete silence. Alexis stood up to follow the boy but Haymitch stopped her.

He reached forward, grabbing her wrist, "Sit, Alexis. Best let him be for a moment." She reluctantly sat back down and continued dinner. It felt like hours. However, when everyone was finished, Alexis stood up again, Haymitch spoke up, "Let me walk you to your room."Alexis gave him a look but nodded and the two continued down the hallway together.

There was a moment of silence before Haymitch broke it, "Have a good nap?"

Alexis looked up at the man, "What?"

"Oh it's just that," A smile came across his face, "The floor outside Peeta's door didn't look so comfy."

Her jaw dropped, "The floor-" Then she remembered, "Oh..."

Haymitch shook his head, "You know, Sweetheart. I really hope that boy survives. If not for himself, but for you." He finished as they reached Alexis' room, he ushered her inside but she was lost for words, "Goodnight, Love."

And with that Haymitch disappeared down the hall, chuckling to himself, leaving Alexis to her thoughts.