Chance [24]

The tap of her heels against the white tiles echoed throughout the hospital wing. Her eyes scanning her his room number. 80... 81... 82... 83. Before she entered she took a deep breath and looked though the glass. She had just seen Katniss, but now it was time to see him. She pushed up the door, and stood there in silence. Taking him in, his eyes were closed, obviously sleeping but only lightly. He began to wake up, his eyes fluttering open, "Lexi?" He murmured, and a smile crawled onto her face. She nodded and took the few steps to his bed, resting her hands in the empty space on the white mattress.

"Hey Pita..." She breathed, "How you feeling?"

He paused for a second, looking at the girl in front of him. Was she real? He waited a moment longer before taking her hand in his, and looking up to her, "Like I want to kiss you." His pulled her arm gently, taking her down to his level. Peeta slowly pressed his lips to his, savouring every moment. Alexis cupped his face and they kissed, and every emotion filled her body. She was happy, sad, angry, excited... sorry. Sorry that he had to go through it, through the games. Once they pulled away, he cupped her face with one hand while holding hers in his other. "Your plan worked."

She nodded quickly while tears filled her eyes, "Yeah?" She breathed while looking down at his leg under the blanket. "How's the leg?"

"Perfect." He said quietly, "The Capitol is weird like that.. they can fix anything." Alexis looked down at her legs where she had scars from her games still prominent on her thighs. Memories flooded her brain from her games, the trauma she has.

Then she looked back up to him, "Not everything." She whispered sadly - knowing that he'll now deal with that same trauma - causing Peeta to frown slightly.

He pulled her back down into a hug, his arms tightly wrapped around her and she did the same. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

He smoothed down the back of her hair as she pulled her gently onto the bed with him, "Thank you." He whispered as she pulled back to look at him, "Thank you for giving us... me a chance."

A smile graced her face as she leant her forehead against his, "Anything for the Strong Boy..." A chuckle escaped Peeta's lips. Alexis nearly crumbled at the sound, how she had missed it, she didn't realise that until now. She slowly pressed her lips back to his, slowly kissing him, taking in every second. That's when a feeling swirled around in her stomach, she pulled away looking into his eyes, "I-" she tried to get out, "I love- I love you..." She hadn't told that to anyone since her best friend and mother died. Scared that she'd lose the next person she would say it too. But it was true, she loved this boy.

A grin made its way onto the boys face, as he leant his  forehead onto hers, "I love you too."

Alexis knew that this couldn't be public, with Katniss and Peeta's 'love' being the only reason they got out. Alexis and Peeta could never happen, at least not in the eye of the Capitol. But for now she wasn't going to worry about it, her and Peeta would have that conversation later, for now, she would stay in his company. Wishing they could stay there forever.