Prologue: Dear Aimee

A/N: Welcome to my first OC x Joel Dawson book! So, just a little disclaimer, in this, we don't have the whole monster and apocalypse thing, but we do have the characters in a sort of college type of situation. I think it'll make more sense as it goes along, but anyway... Here's the prologue for this story, so let me know your thoughts and leave a vote and comments if you can. They are what keep me motivated!

Dear Aimee,

Today is the day. Yes, you heard it right. Today is finally the day.

And, if Joel was being honest, he couldn't deny he was excited. In fact, he didn't remember the last time he had been that happy about anything. After all, it had been three years since Aimee left and, as much as Joel had been occupying his mind quite well with his works and assignments from his design media arts degree in UCLA, it still pained him to think that it had been more than three years since he had properly spoken to Aimee last. Actually, it had been almost 1123 days since they had spoken last, but it wasn't as if Joel was counting.

Because he wasn't. He wasn't a creep. He was just... Romantic. Yes, romantic was probably the better word to describe him. And it was exactly because he was a romantic that he was about to do what he was planning on doing.

He had been wanting to do that for a while now and, even though everyone around him told him it was a bad idea, he didn't listen. How could he when, even after so long, his feeling for Aimee didn't fade away the way everyone said they would? It hurts now, Joel, but you'll get over it soon, they said. You'll fall in love again eventually, Joel, they said. It's just a crush, you'll find someone else for you, they said. But they were wrong, and, even though Joel and Aimee had dated only for a short while during their senior year, Joel knew they had more to them than what people thought they did. They had a real connection, a real love and, if, there was one thing Joel Dawson thought was worth fighting for, it was love. So why wouldn't he try to fight for Aimee?

After all, she could have left years ago to somewhere across the country from him for college and they might have not been able to talk properly for just as long, but true love doesn't just die like that, does it? Joel didn't think so. And that was why he decided he would fight for it. He would fight for Aimee and, even if everyone around him thought he was crazy, he didn't care. He had just finished college anyway so, if he moved from Los Angeles to New York to try and get together with his love again, what could possibly go wrong?

"Nothing, Joel..." The young man whispered to himself, throwing a few of his favorite shirts into a big bag hastily. "Nothing will go wrong. You'll find Aimee again and you'll be as in love with each other as you used to be and it'll be beautiful and you'll prove them all wrong. Because that's the thing about love, right? It doesn't just die like that? And soulmates are supposed to be forever, so why would anything go wrong?"

It wouldn't. Joel knew it wouldn't. So that was what he was going to do. He'd go to New York, find Aimee and finally live his happily ever after with her.

So, after throwing in his bag as many clothes as he could fit in there - after all, he had been planning on staying over for quite a while anyway -, Joel made sure his favorite drawing book was inside the bag as well before zipping it up and picking up his small, portable record player, clicking it on as he nodded to himself and brought the record player closer to his mouth as he started a new entry in it.

Dear Aimee,

Today is the day. Yes, you heard it right. Today is finally the day.

I'm finally coming back for you, just like I promised I'd be.