Care for each other

Dear Joel,

After tonight, I really hope you choke

Maple wouldn't say she had been watching Joel's interaction with Aimee, but she probably just wouldn't say it because she didn't want to make it sound creepy because she had been, in fact, watching their interaction the whole night. So, really, it came as no surprise the fact that, despite having been having some fun with Henry and dancing with him, Maple didn't miss the way, at some point during their conversation, something must have gone wrong because Joel had just up and left and, if there was one thing Maple was sure of was that Joel would have never just up and left Aimee like that.

So, as soon as Joel walked straight past her toward the door without even sparing her a glance, Maple frowned. Turning to look at Aimee, Maple noticed the way she sighed, shrugging a little, as if unsure on what to do, so Maple decided, maybe, that was a mission for her. Taking notice of the way Joel was practically out the door already, walking way faster than he usually would, Maple was quick to turn back around to face Henry, already having her apologies about leaving him in the middle of the party on the tip of her tongue but, before she could even start saying anything, Henry just smiled, stepping back from her as Maple frowned a little, confused.

"You don't have to explain anything to me, dear." Henry said gently as Maple smiled softly at him.

"I really wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have to, you know that, right?" She asked, as the man nodded at her.

"Of course I know." He assured. "But I also know what it is to be young and in love. So if you have to go, go."

And, at his words, Maple blushed a little, looking down at herself for a split of a second before lifting her eyes up to Henry again with a smile.

"Thank you." She told him again, picking up the ends of her long dress a little as she took off through the crowd in the dance floor as she ran after Joel. "Joel! Joel! Wait up!"

And, in spite of clearly having heard her, Joel didn't stop. In fact, he didn't even slow down and Maple frowned even more then, huffing to herself as she ran a little faster, hoping to catch up with Joel before he could actually walk out of the parking lot.

"Joel!" She called again, her heels clicking against the cement as she ran as fast she could in them, finally being able to shoot one of her hands out to grab Joel's instead. "Hey, Joel... Wait..."

Maple gasped, though, when, clearly angry, Joel pulled his hand away from Maple's, recoiling from her almost as if scared of her touch. At that, Maple pouted, offended, stopping in the middle of the wide and dark parking lot, letting go of her dress as she just stood there, absolutely lost on what was happening and what had gotten into Joel.

"Hey... What happened?" She tried again, still trying to keep her tone steady and calm, as if talking to a scared animal while Joel kept his back toward her. "I... I saw you leaving. I was worried."

"Were you?" He finally spoke up, his voice harsh in a way Maple had never heard in her life, causing her to take a small step back in surprise.

"Yes." Maple nodded. "I noticed you didn't even dance with Aimee so I just..."

"Look, I really don't want to talk about this." Joel interrupted her shortly as Maple just frowned.

"Why?" She asked. "Joel... You can talk to me, you know? Just... Just tell me what happened."

"What happened?" Joel scoffed a dry laugh as Maple took a step back, surprised by his sudden outburst when he finally turned around to glare at her. "You want to know what happened? You! That's what happened! You!"