The Truth

"When push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend 'till you break
'Cause it's all you can take
On your knees, you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand

- "Stand" by Rascal Flatts

Chapter 8: The Truth

Half the village seemed to have attended the graduation ceremony at the academy, my family included. I struggled to pay attention during the boring speeches about duty, honor, and protecting the village, wishing I did not have to stand for the whole thing. Finally, we were all dismissed for a reception out in the courtyard.

"We are very proud of you, Katsumi!" Nariko gushed.

"You're on your way to fulfilling your destiny," Kotaro said. "Now you need to work on your shield jutsu."

"Yeah, whatever," I mumbled. I did not understand the importance of the shield jutsu except in regards to the portal. Why did I need to defend myself with a shield if I could dodge every attack?

"We'll support you any way we can," said Seija.

I had ceased listening at that point. My eyes roamed the courtyard, stopping on Naruto sitting on a swing, looking utterly miserable. I wanted to do something for him, but I had no idea how to help him. I could not change the facts. I feared that, if I spoke to him, I would only make matters worse. It was better to keep my distance.

My gaze wandered again, and I noticed someone else standing alone. Sasuke Uchiha. I had been initially curious about him because of my great-grandfather's prohibition on interacting with his clan. All I could learn about him was that he was an orphan due to his entire clan being wiped out (orchestrated by his brother of all people) before his swarm of fan girls ganged up on me for daring to ask about him. I backed off after that. I did not need that kind of drama in my life.

Kotaro noticed my gaze and gave me a disapproving look. It seemed he shared my great-grandfather's sentiments. I turned away. I had already irked him enough by hanging out with Naruto. I did not need to push it on a day when he was actually being nice to me.

My eyes landed on Naruto again and followed him as he made his way over to Mizuki. The two of them conversed for a bit, and I became suspicious when Naruto brightened. I sensed something was off. I waited until the teacher left before starting for my friend.

"Katsumi, where are you going?" Kotaro said.

I waved him off. "I'll be back." Naruto was still smiling by the time I reached him. "What's going on?"

"Katsumi, you've got to hear this!" Naruto said excitedly. "Mizuki sensei said there's another way I can graduate!"

Yep, something was definitely wrong. "That doesn't sound right..."

"He said I have to learn a secret jutsu from a scroll in the Hokage's office. He'll meet me in the woods tonight, and if I can perform the jutsu, I'll pass!"

"Oh, and I suppose the Hokage is just going to give you this scroll?"

Naruto rubbed the back of his neck. "No, I'll have to break in and get it, but don't worry! I'm sure it's all part of a test of my ninja skills."

I may not have known much about this world, but what I did know told me that was unlikely. "Aren't ninjas supposed to obey their superiors and protect the village? Stealing form the highest ranking ninja doesn't sound like something that would be authorized - even for a test."