Chapter 26: Peace at Last

Word count: 992

Izuku's POV

Hello? Is anyone there?

Izuku tried desperately to open his eyes but could still only see darkness. He vaguely remembered when he felt this darkness to be comforting.

How could I have ever felt that? It feels like it's closing in on me.

Pinpricks of pain suddenly sprouted on his old injection areas. A flicker of something that looked like Overhaul's mask was clear in the distance, and it was getting closer...and closer.

Izuku desperately tried to run away or closing his eyes, but it was like he was paralyzed. He just stood there, frozen, unmoving, watching the bird mask get bigger and bigger.

Nononononono get away from me...GET AWAY FROM ME!

Izuku's fear was overwhelming, the pinpricks of pain were stronger, Overhaul's mask still seemed to get closer, his glowing red eyes looking more menacing.

You don't need to worry about him anymore, Izuku. He's never going to touch you ever again. A small voice blossomed in the back of his mind, comforting him and filling him with warmth and hope. Trust your friends, they are strong, you can be strong too.

Izuku focused on the bird mask again. He was still terrified, but as he scanned Overhaul again, he noticed that he seemed to be walking with a limp, his eyes were empty and dark circles underneath them made him look tired and frail, the bird mask looked beat up and old.

I can be strong too. He is past me now. He can't hurt me anymore. Izuku grew more confident. You can't hurt me anymore!

I can be strong too! Like Shouchan, like Mina-chan, like Hito-kun, like everyone!

Overhaul melted in a puddle, and the darkness lifted a bit. Izuku felt safe in the gray space. It was warm like the darkness and wrapped around him like a blanket, but wasn't suffocating him. It wasn't as blinding and piercing as the white space, and it felt like he was being hugged by Aizawa-san or by one of his friends.

Izuku? Izuku?

I'm coming.

Aizawa's POV

Finally. Aizawa thought to himself. The insufferable interviews and paperwork were done and over. The past weeks have been filled with those, and finally the public knew about the truth behind the miracle medicine. He could visit Izuku at last.

Recovery girl has been updating Aizawa on Izuku's condition and he has been shaking, tossing, turning, and occasionally screaming and thrashing out.

Izuku was turning uncomfortably in his cot, breathing quickly at times and muttering too quietly and quickly to distinguish words. It was comforting to hear the familiar mutters, and Aizawa finally felt the days of sleep deprivation catch up to him.

"Aizawa-san?" Aizawa was jolted awake and surprised when Izuku said his name and opened his eyes. They sparkled slightly, the look in Izuku's eyes similar to when he was excited or happy.

"Izuku!" Aizawa pulled him into a hug and felt a small, reassuring squeeze in return.

"Is everyone okay? What about Shouchan? He looked very hurt," Izuku said worriedly when they broke apart.

"Yes, everyone's fine, don't worry. Todoroki's injuries have already mostly healed," Aizawa reassured Izuku. The team also pulled out the survivors from the collapsed facility. When Overhaul and Todoroki battled, the huge shockwaves and trembling earth brought down nearly the whole facility. This also reminded him of something, or rather, someone. "Izuku, there's someone who's wanted to talk to you for a long time. Let me go get them."

Izuku's POV

Who could this person be? Izuku tapped out a rhythm on his legs as he waited for Aizawa to come back. If it was one of my friends, they would have burst inside here already. Izuku smiled to himself.

As much as he didn't want to think about the White Ravens ever again, his thoughts kept straying to the woman that had offered help to him and Todoroki back at the facility, with green hair like his.

She's so familiar...yet so distant. Izuku again and again tried to remember her but could only remember her looking down at him with love. Do I know her?

As Izuku again tried to remember more, the door quietly opened. And there stood the green-haired woman, her eyes red and puffy as if she was just crying.

"Hello!" Izuku said cheerily in an attempt to cheer her up. "What's wrong?" He asked, slightly panicked, as the woman seemed to sob into her hands a little more.

"You probably don't remember me," she finally said after wiping her tears away.

"I-I'm sorry," Izuku stammered. "You're right, but I'm trying hard."

The woman smiled at Izuku. "Is it alright if I sit down with you for a bit?"

Eagerly, Izuku climbed out of his covers and sad on the side of the bed and patted the space beside him for the woman. He wanted to know more about her.

The two sat in silence for awhile until the woman asked, "I apologize if this is strange, but can I please have a hug?"

Izuku was a bit confused but nodded his head and leaned into the woman's embrace. And memories started trickling in slowly, but surely.

A pair of warm arms wrapped around him, comforting words from a green-haired woman with beautiful green eyes when his knee got kind of scraped, bed time stories lulling him to sleep each night, and delight when the woman finally came through the doors after work.

"Izuku, I'm finally done with work today!" She said happily. "I hope you've been good to your nana."

"Mama! You're here!" Izuku ran up and hugged 'mama'. "You've been gone so long! I've missed you!" Tears we're streaming from his eyes.

Izuku felt warm rain trace trails on his face. Rain? It's not raining inside.

"Mama?" Izuku said tentatively, squeezing his mom tighter.

"I'm back, Izuku." His mom was crying again.

Finally, the family was reunited at last.
————————————————————————
Finally! The happy ending you were all waiting for! :)

Thank you for reading!