8: Guitar for Ransom

Getting friendlier with House was great. After all, James was his best friend, I sort of wanted him to accept us dating. I wanted to be his friend.

As I got closer to House, it became more concerning to me when I noticed Chase, Cameron and Foreman weren't really around as much. I knew Foreman had been looking for another job, but I didn't know why Cameron and Chase had disappeared.

Those two had been going through a rough patch, anyway. They were sleeping together for a while, but now they're not and Chase is looking for something more and it's a whole big thing... Ugh. Who knew doctors could be so dramatic?

I got to work in the morning and went to the meeting room to get a coffee. James came into the room a few minutes later. He stopped in the doorway and smiled at me, staring at me while I stirred my coffee.

"Hey," he half-whispered.

"What's up?" I smiled.

"Nothing," he grinned back.

I chuckled, "Seriously, why are you looking at me like that?"

"I'm swooning over you, darling, it's what one does when one has a girlfriend who's so alluring," James walked over and kissed me.

"Wow, you're in a good mood," I said, pressing my forehead against his.

James smiled at me, so lovingly. It felt so pure.

"Won't be in a good mood for much longer," he chuckled after a while, "Gotta go convince House to do interviews for some new recruits for his diagnostics team."

"Doesn't he have Cameron and Chase?"

James shook his head, "Not anymore."

I smiled, "Good luck trying to get him to do anything that'll actually benefit his job."

He rolled his eyes, "See you later, lovely lady."

"Bye, handsome fella," I laughed at the cheesy nicknames.

James went to go find House and I went back to my office. All was perfectly normal until my fifteen minute break.

House was in his office and gestured towards me through the clear, glass door as I was walking past. I strolled up to the door and opened it.

"Byrne, sit down," he said, looking a little flustered and agitated.

I sat down in the seat opposite him at his desk, "What's up?"

"You're boyfriend kidnapped my guitar," he scowled.

"House, did you say 'kidnapped'?"

"Yes it sounds insane, whatever, but it was literal kidnapping. There's a ransom note and everything!"

House handed me a piece of paper with words and letters cut out from magazines  stuck onto it to make out a message:

"I have your guitar. Tell no one. Await my instructions."

I laughed, "What on Earth-"

"I know! He's crazy!" House stared at the page, "I try to be a civilized adult about the whole thing and he takes my guitar hostage!"

"Woah, woah, how do we know it was Wilson?" I asked.

"He rang the phone and put on a phony voice," House explained, "When I went to his office to confront him, he was reading out of a newspaper with words cut out of it. Does that seem obvious to you, Claire?"

I sighed, "House, I have absolutely nothing to do today. Please let me help you steal the guitar back."

"Yes. Byrne, this is why I have you on this team."