20: Grand Finale

Dr James Wilson sat outside Claire Byrne's room for six hours. Ruptured appendix. Not a massive chance for her survival.
Chase and Cameron sat with him for a while.
"There's something I should tell you both," Cameron announced, "I'm not pregnant."
"What?!"
"Huh?!"
She sighed, "I switched the tests. I was gonna tell her. She had so much on her plate already."
She pulled the positive pregnancy test out of her pocket in a plastic ziplock bag.
"This is all my fault," James sobbed, dropping his head into his hands.
"It's a medical issue, Wilson, it's no one's fault," a tear fell from Cameron's eye.
"I'm so stupid, I should've been there for her," he cried.
Chase patted him on the shoulder, "You were trying to make her happy."
The door opened and House walked out.
James was a wreck. He knew what the news was going to be. Claire had passed away.
House sighed, "She'll be up in a few hours."
"What?!" James practically leapt up off the couch.
House couldn't help but smile, "Cameron, when were you gonna tell us about the baby that's not in you."
She laughed through tears.
"The baby's okay?" James asked.
House nodded, "Congratulations, Daddy-o."
James dropped to his knees and cried. Tears of happiness this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My eyes flitted open. There were lights above my head. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.
"Morning," said one of the doctors.
"Hey?" I said, "what's going on?"
"Well, in a nutshell, the fact that you just opened your eyes and sat up is a miracle," she smiled at me and left the room.
Miracle? And with that's it all came back to me.
The stomach ache, the blacking out.
"Claire?! CLAIRE!"
James Wilson ran into the room and wrapped his arms around me.
He was crying his eyes out, "I am never letting you go. I couldn't do it, as soon as I saw you, before you even- I just knew I couldn't go through with it."
I smiled, "You didn't propose to Amber?"
James reached into his pocket and pulled out a broken ring, "Yup."
I laughed loudly.
Cameron and Chase ran into the room, hugging and kissing me, exclaiming about how glad they are I'm alive.
Cameron knelt down beside me and handed me the positive pregnancy test, "This is yours."
"What do you mean, it's yours," I said, handing it back.
"I switched the tests," Cameron smiled, "It was stupid, I know-"
"I'M PREGNANT?!" I turned my head towards James. He nodded, grinning.
"Correction, we're pregnant," he said.
I held his face in my hands.
"James Evan Wilson, oncologist," I said, tearing up a little "I love you. I need you. I am never letting you slip away again. God, please tell me you feel the same way."
"Claire...," James began.
He smiled, leaned towards me and kissed me.
"I have never, and will never stop loving you. If I lost everything I have and I still had you, I'd be the happiest man alive. You are all I am."
I wiped a tear from my face, "So why waist a good proposal, then?"
The biggest smile spread across his face.
"For real? You want me to propose in a hospital room?"
"I don't care where you do it," I laughed.
He shrugged and knelt down, taking my hand.
"Doctor Claire Louise Byrne, ophthalmologist," he giggled, "Will you light up my life and be my wife?"
"Nice rhymes," I said, impressed.
"Yeah, let's pretend it was intentional," James laughed, "Well?"
"Huh, now let me think," I chuckled, "Yes, sir, I will marry you."
Cameron and Chase applauded and James kissed me again.
Cameron looked over at Chase, "Proposal. That looks nice."
"It's like you're reading my mind, Allison," Chase bent down on one knee and took Cameron's hand, "Double engagement?"
"Hell yeah!"
He stood up and kissed her.
Now it was James and I who were applauding.
Surprisingly good day for someone who almost died.
~~~~~~~~~~~NEXT JULY~~~~~~~~~~~
Allison Wilson-Byrne was born on the 16th of July, two weeks before the wedding, meaning she got to share it with us.
Cameron and I got ready together. Both of us in beautiful, long white gowns and veils.
"Double wedding," I said softly, "Never thought it could be possible."
Cameron hugged me, "I'm so happy for us!"
I giggled, "Me too!"
Both of our eyes started watering.
"Ready for the best day of our lives?" I asked.
"Definitely," Cameron smiled.
As I walked down the aisle, and felt his eyes watching me, I felt as though I could fly. For the first time in months, everything was going to be great and happy.
We'd brought a wonderful baby girl into this world. I get to see his face when I wake up every morning.
He's the brightest star in my sky. The sunlight that lights up my days.
As we looked into each other's eyes on the alter, I could see our future. Sometimes the best things in life come from very worthwhile mistakes. Like sleeping with your colleague directly after their divorce.
Well, it certainly worked out for me.
"I do."