8. TRUST

A Note from Ashleigh

This chapter is new, except for four paragraphs somewhere toward the end.

..........................................................................................................................................

LISA

It's Sunday.

Morning light filters through the curtains.

I stir, and blink my eyes open.

And in an instant, everything rushes into my head. Ryan and Susan's betrayal.

I feel Ryan spooning me from behind, his erection pressing into my back. His hands run up and down my thighs.

Revulsion fills me.

"Don't," I say sharply. Push his hands off. Roll to the far side of the bed.

There is a beat of silence.

He is stunned.

Wake-up morning sex has always been one of the highlights of our married life.

"Baby?"

Baby.

Fury surges.

"Are you okay?"

No, I'm not, you dipshit.

"I have a headache," I say flatly.

Another beat of stunned silence.

In the four years we have been married, not once, never once, have I said these four words. Not once, never once, have I rejected his advances.

"Oh."

He sounds confused.

"It's probably a hangover from last night's wine."

"I wasn't drunk last night. But I have a headache. I want to sleep." And decide how to get even with you, you bastard. "Just leave me alone."

"Do you want paracetamol? I could --- "

"No," I say through my teeth. "I. Just. Want. To. Sleep."

"Oh. Oh, okay." He sounds bewildered, lost. "I'll shower, then go to the store. I'll be back soon."

Or maybe, you're planning to meet up with your mistress.

See, Ryan? I don't believe a word that comes out of your lying mouth anymore. That's what you've done to me. You've broken my trust in you.

I get up finally at 10 a.m.

I shower, go downstairs to find a note for me on the breakfast table.

Lisa,

I'm off to the store. I'll buy back lunch.

I love you.

Ryan

I have toast and a cup of coffee and wonder what Maxim is doing. Is he alone? Has Susan gone to the store, too?

My phone pings.

A text message from Maxim.

Good morning, Lisa.

I text back, Good morning, Maxim.

Maxim is typing...

...

Did you dream of me?

I am smiling.

No, I answer.

Tiny dots bob up and down.