11. BETRAYAL

A Note from Ashleigh

This chapter is a mix of old and new.

.............................................................................................................................................

LISA

"Are you fucking serious? Max is your client now?"

I shrug.

"He offered, and I accepted. Laura's going to be thrilled when I tell her."

"I could have helped." Ryan grits through his teeth. "You could have asked me --- "

"I don't need your help." There is a bite in my voice. He blinks. Did he hear it? "Maxim offered. I accepted. End of story," I say coolly.

"What's going on between you and Max, Lisa?" Ryan is glaring at me. "You've been acting weird and cold toward me since that dinner. And what's with this candle gift?" He grabs the white box with the candle and shoves it in my face. "Max gave it to you, didn't he? Didn't he?" His voice is rising. He's practically shouting, his face red with jealousy and fury.

"Maxim gave it to me. He bought it in Paris. He said it reminded him of me." Ryan's face has turned a shocking shade of purple. He looks like he's about to explode with rage. "He says he noticed the intricate purple violet patterns engraved inside and he says it has the scent of lavendar. He knows I love purple violets and lavendar. Isn't he the sweetest?"

"Lisa, stay away from Max. I'm telling you he's into you. He's always looking at you, and it's not in a friendly way, I know, I can see it, he --- "

"You're imagining it. Maxim is a sweet, dear friend. He's my best friend's husband. He's a loyal and faithful husband." My voice is frosty. "I don't like what you are insinuating. In fact, I find it downright offensive."

I stare at him, he stares back at me.

He's breathing hard.

"You and Susan spend a lot of time together. I trust you and her absolutely. I will be spending a lot of time with Maxim from now on. I expect you to level me the same trust, respect and consideration I extend to you and Susan. It's only fair, don't you think?"

He looks away finally.

"Okay." He is tight-lipped. "We'll talk more about this later. I have a client flying in today, Mr. Nakamoto from Tokyo."

I frown.

"Mr. Nakamoto? But you told me you had dinner with him last week."

There is a beat of silence.

Ryan swallows. His face flushes.

"Oh, I must have made a mistake. Mr. Takeda flew in last week."

"Mr. Takeda last week and Mr. Nakamoto this week. You do have a lot of Japanese clients." My voice is flat.

"I'll be back --- "

"Late. Of course." I turn. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Baby." Ryan catches my wrist, says pleadingly, "let's take a break, go somewhere. I'll take a few days off. Let's go to the Cotswolds...those quaint little cottages in the countryside. You loved it there, remember? We went there before we got married, our final year in uni."

"Whatever."

"I know I haven't been spending as much time as I should have with you. I've just been so busy" --- with Sue --- "but I'll make it up to you, I promise. I love you, baby, so much. I'm sorry I'm acting like a jealous lunatic, but Max makes me insecure, he's so bloody rich, he could have anything he wants, and I --- I'm just afraid that he wants --- " he stops, his voice trailing off.