Chapter 16: Rachel

My body is hot. My eyelids are heavy. It's hard to breathe.

I want something cold...

Ah. Immediately after Rachel felt something warm on her head, it became chilly.

"Feels nice..."

She heard a whisper, and it became easy to breathe. As if the pain from before was all a lie. Then, she suddenly grew sleepy.

"Rachel, good night."

Who is calling my name with such a gentle voice? It's familiar and very reassuring.

Rachel could feel the sensation of a hand stroking her hair. Very tenderly, as if that person was handling something very important. Wondering who was that, Rachel tried to open her eyes. But she fell asleep before she could do that.

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

"My Lady, your fever has come down and you've stopped coughing. What a relief."

"Thank you, Sarah."

"You started coughing since you got that fever, and you had to stay on bed for the past week."

Yes, a week had passed since Rachel got a fever. Perhaps she also caught a cold, making her health went up and down many times. Then she finally recovered.

Even if she only became a little sick, her current weak body would worsen her condition. After experiencing that, Rachel could only make a bitter smile. She had to be careful of her life would be in danger.

"Speaking of which, did anyone come while I was asleep?"

"Yes. His Highness came to visit. I will have the flowers he delivered today arranged in this vase."

"His Highness? So he came."

"Yes. He hurriedly rushed here as soon as your fever rose. Then he stayed by your side until you slept, My Lady."

"I see. I'll have to thank him later." Sarah then raised her gaze as if she just recalled something. "By the way, His Highness brought a magician with him."

"A magician?"

"Yes. He was a beautiful person with long silver hair. I mistook him as a woman at first."

A beautiful magician with silver hair. The person that came to Rachel's mind when she heard that was...

Theodore Camus.

He was the eldest son of Marquis Camus, a twenty-two-years-old man. He would become Marquis in the future, but now people knew him as Viscount Frion. With the former head of Division of Magic as his father, Theodore had an abundant amount of magic power. There were rumors that his talent exceeded that of his father, who was labelled to be the best magician in the country. Despite being a newcomer, he was already famous, standing out in the Division of Magic.

Theodore and Louis were childhood friends, so Rachel had greeted him before. At their first meeting, it almost felt like Theodore took a distance from her. As if he allowed her to call him by name just because she was the prince's fiancée.

Since their ages were pretty far, she didn't get involved much with him in her previous life. Yet why did he came here? Moreover, accompanying Louis to visit her? Rachel couldn't understand what that might mean.

"Ah. By the way, His Highness looks pretty tired."

"Eh?"

Sarah looked at Rachel as she skilfully arranged the flowers in the vase.