Chapter 4 - Billy fucking Loomis

Anisa had been sitting with the group of five for around thirty minutes now. She was warming to them, and she hoped they were warming to her too. They seemed like such good friends and she hoped to god they'd accept her into their little clique. Anisa didn't think that she could last the year of school she had left without people to back her up. 

So far, she had learned all but one's names. There was Randy, the redhead. He worked at the video store in Woodsboro and was practically a walking encyclopedia for movies. Stu seemed lovely too. He was the boy with short golden curls. He didn't have a filter and when he laughed, he laughed with his entire self. She thought that was endearing. She had yet to find out the name of the boy with pretty eyes. No one had called for him yet and Anisa felt too nervous to ask. Instead, she just engaged in the conversation and hoped his name would pop up soon. 

At the moment, she was busy being interrogated by Randy though. "Favourite horror movie?" He asked, spitting questions at her left and right. 

"A nightmare on elm street," Randy let out a sigh, audibly thanking god. 

"You have good taste," He complimented, wiggling his eyebrows at the girl. She would have thought that was weird, but he did it with such an enthusiastic smile that it was just kind of nice. In fact, he was just kind of nice. Something about him reminded her of Nancy... but in a much more stable way.  

"Thank you," Anisa posed with a glittering smile. Her laugh rang in the air when Sidney poked the side of her ribs affectionately. It didn't feel like she had only known them for thirty minutes. Anisa could've been here for months and she'd feel just as close already. "What about you guys' favourite movies in general?" 

The dark-eyed boy was the first to answer, taking all of a second to reply. "A nightmare on elm street too," His voice was gravelly and swoon-worthy. "I'm a sucker for Freddy Kreuger," A smirk lit up his angular face as he watched Anisa smile at his answer. 

"I'm a fan of that one witch movie, y'know the one that came out this year?" Tatum's answer elicited a groan from three of the six people. Randy, Anisa and the dark-eyed boy's complaints made the others laugh. 

Anisa shook her head at Tatum, releasing a deep-seated sigh of disappointment. "That movie is wildly inaccurate," She said, laughing at the blonde. 

"Yeah, and how much do you know about witches, Annie?" Tatum bit back, rolling her eyes playfully. This is where Anisa realised that she fucked up. 

"It's not that, it's that they based the movie around Wiccans and then had them actively hurt people. One of the biggest laws in Wiccan belief is 'harm none and do as you will,'" Anisa felt that she could go on forever about this. Not only had the movie been incredibly wrong it had also just been plain old offensive. Watching it made her feel as though she were actively losing brain cells. She felt so strongly about this, that she didn't even bother to give an excuse. 

"Why do you know so much about Witchcraft?" Stu's voice piped in. He laughed at the girl openly, which she found some sense of comfort in. He was plaiting strands of Tatum's hair and every so often he'd lean down and kiss her forehead. They made an adorable couple. 

Anisa laughed again, clearing her throat and trying to set her lies straight. "I had some friends in L. A who were interested in it," It technically wasn't a lie. It was just avoiding the truth. Leaving out that she herself was a fucking witch didn't seem bad in Anisa's mind. It seemed like self-preservation. 

"You dress like a witch," Randy commented, drawing a giggle from Sidney. It stopped Anisa in her tracks and yet again, she felt like a deer in headlights. It was just an offhand comment. An offhand comment that Anisa had thought of before. She didn't know why someone else vocalizing it made her breath hitch.

A scoff coming from her left shook Anisa from her little daze. "Randy, leather doesn't equal witch. You've just never seen fashion outside this town, fucking dumbass," Anisa guffawed at this. She watched as Randy threw a chip at the dark-eyed boy's face and laughed even harder when it hit him right between the eyes. She dared poke her tongue and cross her eyes at Randy.

He threw a chip at her too; he had a surprisingly good throwing arm for such a dork.

"Shut up, Billy."

"Billy, huh. It suits him," Anisa took the chip from Randy and ate it, addressing Billy in her head. Over and over again. It really did suit him. 

"So, Annie, why'd you leave L.A, to Woodsboro of all places?" Billy asked. Anisa's breath hitched. 

She stumbled over her words for a minute or two before talking. "Things didn't go to plan there I guess. Didn't really have anything to stay for," 

"Really, no boyfriend or anything?" Sidney spoke up this time. Her hands fiddling with a necklace that hung just below her collar bones. Anisa chuckled to cover the painful memories surfacing in her mind. Her eyes brushed over Tatum and Stu as she readied herself to speak. They were making out, to no one's surprise. 

"There was a girlfriend, we broke up though," Sidney's lips made a little 'o' shape and she looked curious. 

"So you're gay? what was her name?" This conversation was beginning to feel awkward for Anisa but she didn't mind sharing these things about her life. And she could tell that Sidney was asking out of interest, not homophobia. 

She took a second before answering. "Her name's Bonnie. and yeah I guess, I like whoever I like, regardless of gender," She leaned back on her hands, taking in shallow breaths to calm herself down. It wasn't the conversation that made her nervous, rather the fear that the little town might hate her for it. Anisa would hate to get comments the same as she used to at St. Benedicts. Things like "do you wanna have a threesome, baby?" or "You like girls too? that kind of hot." The worst comments weren't even from the teenage boys though. They were from all the heavily religious teachers and parents. "It's a sin, Anisa," and "Sinners burn for all eternity, Anisa." 

Sidney smiled brightly at Anisa. She was almost shocked by how perfect the girls teeth were before she began talking too. "I think I'm similar, I just didn't know what to call it yet," and Anisa smiled too. It was nice to have the familiarity of people like her. Queer people. She knew she was safe here.

(Anisa and Sidney are fruity because so am I... because... gayness.)