The Darkness Within: Part 23

Chapter 23:

It's the 20th of October, 2020.

Fallon is sitting in her one room apartment, crying over the discovery of the death of her parents.

She can't even remember what happened.

Her vision is a blur, as usual.

It's like, there's a darkness within her body, taking pleasure in killing innocent people, without her acknowledging it.

She wipes her wet face with her sleeve, but the tears continue to flow down her cheek.

She's startled by the sudden knock of her door.

Instantly, she switches off the tv. She stands up, opening the front door for Divine to step through.

"Divine, what a surprise! What are you doing here?" Fallon uses her fingers to quickly wipe her face clean.

She stares down at her worn out clothes. "Sorry, I wasn't really expecting any company today. Would you like a drink?" Hastily, she opens her cupboard, retrieving two wine glasses.

Divine watches her do so, her eyes clouding suspicion, anger. "You can put those away. I'm not in the mood for intoxicated chit chat" She spits, glaring at Fallon as she places the glasses back in the cupboard.

"Oh, so what are you doing here, then?" Fallon asks, scratching her weary eyes. She's tired.

She's tired of everything.

"You seem exhausted. Are you feeling okay, Fallon?" She asks, with lack of concern. "Killing people must be so tiring, I bet. Stealing innocent lives, must be time consuming. You'd better get your rest then" Her eyes glare into her eyes, full of intuition as she leans against the kitchen island.

"Divine, babe, what are you talking about?" Fallons taken back by her words, as she reaches over to comfort her, but she steps back. "Are you feeling okay? Still drunk from last night?"

"How could you?" She asks, her face painted with disgust, as she moves away. "How could you kill your own parents? Oaklynn? Katherine? You're mad"

"Are you stupid? I didn't even know Katherine!" Fallon yells. "How can you kill someone you didn't even know existed?"

"Drop the act, Fallon" Divine shakes her head, slightly chuckling. "You're so crazy that you've even started to believe your own lies. Ever since you returned from Colorado, I've started to suspect you, Fallon"

"I've never been to Colorado, my family stayed in Seattle. I've lived in Seattle my whole life" Fallon explains.

"Because I suspected you, I began to do intensive research on you, through other people, as you're known for keeping a very low profile of yourself" Divine continues, ignoring Fallon's lies. "I did lots of research on Katherine Devourne, who carried an extremely open profile. I discovered that she worked in the same place as your late husband, Damari, even before you told us that at April's apartment. I found the public website for Hôtel de Luxe, which led me to the contacts of many hotel workers" Divine explains. "I contacted loads, but not all replied. One woman did, though. Nadia Hudges"

Fallon's face instantly turns white. "The hotel lobby receptionist" she whispers, her face blank.

She remembers.

She remembers seeing it on the woman's badge, many years ago.

The name never left her mind.

Embedded. Just like that night.

"Yes, that's correct" Divine smirks. "I went to visit her. We spoke over coffee. She told me that she was certain of an intensive affair between Katherine and Damari, and that she heard someone sneaking out from behind the back storage room door of the hotel the night of his death"