Chapter 3 - Part 1

The next day after school, Jungkook goes to the tennis club again and despite him not sleeping as much as he desired, he is feeling fine. He luckily decided to lie down quite early. So, he still got enough sleep, even though it took a long while until he was finally fast asleep.

Training is about to start any minute now. Today, Jungkook is, once again, wearing his tennis clothes, which are black sweatpants, which reveal his lower legs, and a plain black T-shirt today.

He takes a quick look at Taehyung, who is wearing long sweatpants as well as a T-shirt. On top of that, he is wearing a white sports jacket with rolled-up sleeves. He also takes a glance to study the other boy's physique. He notices, that Taehyung appears to be a lot less muscular compared to him, and he takes it as a small victory that boosts his ego even more.

Taehyung looks over at Jungkook and catches him staring at him. Jungkook quickly looks away in embarrassment but can still make out the smirk on Taehyung's face.

A moment later, when all the club members and the trainer are gathered by the courts, Taehyung requests, "Can I play against the newbie today?"

Mr. Lee sighs and speaks up, "It's only the second day of training in this school year. You will not stop until I let you, right?"

"Correct," Taehyung answers.

The trainer looks over at Jungkook, making eye contact, and asks, "Is that all right with you, Jungkook? Will you play against Taehyung?"

Jungkook's face appears blank and hesitant for a short second, but it quickly changes into confidence and ambition while trying to hide a dirty grin. "Of course I will," the freshman states.

Taehyung takes hold of his tennis racket and shamelessly displays the same kind of grin that Jungkook tried to hide. "Glad that you are not shitting yourself today," Taehyung teases.

Jungkook clicks his tongue and spits back, "As if I would be scared of you," while pointing at Taehyung.

Anyone in the club notices the thick air in between the two boys and they all take a few steps back, not wanting to be in the way of these two bullheads.

Taehyung and Jungkook both approach one of the tennis courts. Each player goes onto one of the court's halves, the net separating them in the middle. They both walk up to the said net, each one of them standing at opposite sides of it. For sportsmanship, you are supposed to shake hands with your opponent at the beginning of the match.

They are both hesitant and just stare at each other, making unnecessarily intense eye contact. Taehyung is the one to make the first step by holding out his hand. Jungkook quickly looks down at the other's hand and then grabs it with his own. They shake hands and Jungkook is making sure to squeeze Taehyung's hand way too much. Taehyung reacts with a short hiss.

"May the better player win," Jungkook sings with a wide grin on his face, while he still has Taehyung's hand in a death grip.

"Glad you already know how to address me," Taehyung sneers back.

Jungkook finally lets go of Taehyung's hand. They continue their eye contact for another second until both of them walk towards the back of their tennis court halves.

Taehyung grabs a tennis ball and holds it tightly in his hand for a moment. "Because you are the newbie, I think I will give you a chance and let you serve first," Taehyung says overconfidently and throws the ball over towards Jungkook's side of the court and the younger catches it with ease.

"It's time someone kicks you off of your high horse. Good thing I am here now. You can thank me later," Jungkook taunts back.

The trainer stands by the side of the court, ready to be the referee and count their scores. All the other club members are supposed to play as well, but they are all too intrigued by the two cocky students and so everyone gathers by their court in silence, ready to watch their game.