The Reluctant Leader

"So, let me get this straight. You want me in charge of 3 other soldiers, whom I've rarely ever talked to, mind you, with the task of protecting another soldier until they wake up from stasis, all while preparing this planet you've shown me for a new base of operations for the Autobots?"

"And we need you to search for and harvest energon!" Ratchet quickly interjected.

"I know this seems as a daunting task, old friend, but I trust that you can do it." Optimus Prime replied, "This team was handpicked specifically for this mission, and you have been in charge of an entire squadron before, Springer."

"Well yeah but The Wreckers are different, we didn't operate under the same protocol, Prime," Springer stated back, "And I was absolute scrap at the job!"

"If you are referring to Bulkhead and Wheeljack's self-discharge from the squadron, then I must disagree, old friend. Bulkhead has chosen to join my strike team out of his own volition, he holds nothing against you." Optimus retorted, "Wheeljack left due to my appointing Ultra Magnus as overseer of the squadron. Neither of them left because of you, Springer."

"But-" Stringer began.

"Ep ep ep! Quit whining about this Stringer. Optimus has made up his mind, I suggest you prepare for departure. Perceptor is readying a ship now." Ratchet interrupted.

"What? Why aren't we space-bridging to this planet?" Stringer questioned, "Wouldn't that be the most secure option?"

"We are running low on Energon, old friend. If we use any for a space-bridge, we won't have enough to get the Ark off-world." Optimus explained.

"Also Perceptor and I don't want to risk bringing him through the portal." Ratchet added. "This was our first actual time attempting the Nitrous Procedure. We don't want to risk a highly volatile form of travel such as space-bridging while the patient is in stasis."

"I know how this must make you feel Springer, but if anyone can do this job, it's you." Optimus praised. "Now head to hangar sigma, Perceptor and the rest of your team are already there."

Springer sighs, then salutes. "Yes sir!" After Optimus returns the salute, Springer walks out of the room.

"Are you sure we shouldn't have told him the patient is Hot Rod?" Ratchet looked at Optimus. He didn't look back at Ratchet but simply replied, "Springer already bears the burden of losing a third of the Wreckers during a mission he had planned and executed, I do not want him to carry the burden of losing any more of his own."

"I... Understand, Optimus. Have you selected your 6 strike team members yet?" Ratchet questioned.

"All but one, old friend. I figured I'd wait until it was the opportune moment to ask." Optimus answered, then turned to look at Ratchet, "Ratchet, you are one of the best medics I have ever served alongside. If it weren't for you, so many of our own would be dead. You have been the greatest ally - no - you have been the greatest friend I have ever had. Will you join me on my quest to end this war?"

Ratchet scoffed and looked away, then looked back to Optimus smirking, "How could I say no when you ask me like that? Of course I'll join your team. I am proud to serve alongside you,

Orion."