《Screαm & Shout》《❶》

The Gray Man was heavily lampooned. Its emblem and architectural pattern were known by everyone and easily distinguishable. Many a reputable couple started off on the paneled dance floor. Much-publicized tabloids always found a spot on the cover page for its kaleidoscopic interior and saucy dancers. But they weren’t the only crowd-pullers, of course.

Besides the guest singers who were top-notch, charismatic and well-known, the Gray Man was always teeming with gorgeous people. It felt like an otherworldly race of people had created a little lair for their freedoms and reunited every night under the spell of vivid lighting.

It was Saturday night.

[Name] strapped her high-heeled shoes on, lips pressed together in a pout. She glanced at the clock on the wall ― 11:15 PM.

Fifteen minutes later she was meeting up with her informal friends in the parking outside the Gray Man. They were too loud for her tastes, but she didn’t want to be alone tonight. [Name]’s let all her work unattended this particular Saturday night because she’s been craving a batty lifestyle since she started college. She craved the twitter, the thrill of blamable behavior and all that she missed during high school on account of her parents’ strictness.

She was on her own now, so she decided to grab a taste of dereliction to see what it felt like.

“[Name],” said her closest girl friend as she nodded her head towards the entrance. [Name] followed obediently, head hanging low and eyes closed tightly as the psychedelic light flashed at her face. The interior was exactly what the tabloids described it like ― an obscene display of lighting and music with futuristic exaggeration and titillated teenagers who danced more or less gracefully. The bar was at the centre, permanently crowded, the DJ’s booth was suspended above, and [Name] thought she distinguished the head of a red-haired male.

[Name] was sure she’ll go deaf if he raised the volume even a tad bit, but ultimately decided that she liked the song playing (which’s title and artist she didn’t know). “This beat’s sicker than a sniff of Mary Jane!” her friend shouted towards the rest of the group. “What―?!” [Name] shouted back as he turned his back at them. The black-haired male and his twin brother walked away towards the bar, leaving [Name] alone and her question unanswered as the rest disbanded also.

“Have fun, you guys,” said the security guard, a somehow bulky man with dark skin and black sunglasses. Her friends replied casually, “Thanks Marie,” like there was no age difference between them.

[Name] was too shy to hop on the dance floor yet, so she neared the wall, completely forgetting why she came here in the first place.